[eDebate] Mmm Lentils, Chikpeas, and Mohair

Morris, Eric R EricMorris
Fri Jul 11 09:59:21 CDT 2008

This is a curious argument to me. It would seem to be exceptionally
conservative, in that it would limit debate to thoroughly mainstream
political ideas.

Think about the Republican opposition to public financing of elections -
the argument is that I should not have to pay for a campaign on the
other side to publicize ideas that I oppose. But now, instead of those
ideas being fairly mundane differences of the best path to achieve a
mutual goal, the ideas are revolutionary. In a country where large
numbers reject any affirmative action with teeth (while quoting Martin
Luther King to justify color blindness), would there really be majority
support for training which used a racially conscious aesthetic as a
primary educational tool?

I think public support levels would be higher for training 30 kids to
know both sides of an important public policy issue (Ag subsidies, I
would not single out chickpeas) than for revolutionary activist
training.

This doesn't mean I'm saying such training should not occur, etc. - more
that the framework invoked in this post seems surprisingly conservative
in its implications, given who is advancing it.

Ermo