[eDebate] No Lentils...Please!!!

J T jtedebate
Fri Jul 11 12:04:23 CDT 2008

I think this overlooks topic specific K ground...yes, the K will always be around, but discussion over critical literature germain to the topic is important to (well-round education, people).  Admittedly, this year's topic might not have alot of topic specific K lit.  But to categorically dismiss discussion of the K and the topic only guarantees broadly generic "state bad" type kritiks.  Small farmers, poverty, environmental securitization & management....policymaking good?  try environmental pragmatism...I've always felt the kritiks specific to the topic area are usually better than the generics

Clay Webb <webb767 at gmail.com> wrote: You are at the NDT. It is your senior year. Debating a team from wake forest. They pull out......cut large chickpeas.......you lose on a 3-0, 5-0, 7-0, 75-0. Don't tell me it can't be done. They extradited one terrorist. 1 GUY......you can widdle the case down to nothing....but you won't have a link to a disad . Not hating on wake....bravo...... Your generics won't link.....why....because no one gives a shit about Lebanon Terrorist guy or large chickpeas....except for the one guy who will write the internal links for the aff advantage...and anyone who writes the aff will have the advantage of knowing you have to crutch on politics. If your generics do link...you are reading a K....and the topic doesn't matter......don't get angry....its true.....Missouri State WW Legal topic.....Missouri State MM all topics....the res does not matter if you just want to get to the zero point of the holocaust.

K ground should not be part of the discussion. There is always K ground.

To be sure....some of you want to put....this...in the topic:

(A) Wheat, $3.92 per bushel.
(B) Corn, $2.63 per bushel.
(C) Grain sorghum, $2.57 per bushel.
 (D) Barley, $2.24 per bushel.
(E) Oats, $1.44 per bushel.
(F) Upland cotton, $0.7125 per pound.
(G) Long grain rice, $10.50 per hundredweight.
(H) Medium grain rice, $10.50 per hundredweight.
(I) Soybeans, $5.80 per bushel.
 (J) Other oilseeds, $10.10 per hundredweight.
(2) 2009 CROP YEAR.?For purposes of the 2009 crop year,
the target prices for covered commodities shall be as follows:
(A) Wheat, $3.92 per bushel.
(B) Corn, $2.63 per bushel.
 (C) Grain sorghum, $2.57 per bushel.
(D) Barley, $2.24 per bushel.
(E) Oats, $1.44 per bushel.
(F) Upland cotton, $0.7125 per pound.
(G) Long grain rice, $10.50 per hundredweight.
(H) Medium grain rice, $10.50 per hundredweight.
 (I) Soybeans, $5.80 per bushel.
(J) Other oilseeds, $10.10 per hundredweight.
(K) Dry peas, $8.32 per hundredweight.
(L) Lentils, $12.81 per hundredweight.
(M) Small chickpeas, $10.36 per hundredweight.
(N) Large chickpeas, $12.81 per hundredweight.

You could group some of them....but then again....if they did just read the 1 evil guy aff you could just read generic "arab states" links for your Israel Disad.... right? I'm all for aff flexibility....but this borders on insanity.

Also, some are arguing to prefer Lentils, Chickpeas, Sorghum, etc. over CAFO and fish. I will not make a long winded technical appeal.

C) Grain sorghum, $2.57 per bushel.
(D) Barley, $2.24 per bushel.
 (E) Oats, $1.44 per bushel.
(J) Other oilseeds, $10.10 per hundredweight.
(K) Dry peas, $8.32 per hundredweight.
(L) Lentils, $12.81 per hundredweight.
(M) Small chickpeas, $10.36 per hundredweight.
(N) Large chickpeas, $12.81 per hundredweight.

sunflower seed, rapeseed, canola, safflower, flaxseed,
mustard seed, crambe, sesame seed, or any oilseed designated
by the Secretary.

crambe....there may be more....I don't really care because I think you get the point.

in exchange for
 Sugar, CAFOs, and Fisheries

Sugar, CAFOs, and Fisheris have bigger lit bases. More neg links, more aff options......fewer surprises in important rounds, and we don't have to talk about Lentils.

 I go to missouri state....so typically....appeals to education don't matter much to me....but seriously....Lentils and Chickpeas??? LOL not even just chickpeas but large chickpeas and small chickpeas.  And even if you pull off  the lentils aff....imagine the negative pics out of one of these.

Types of Lentils

Brown/Spanish Pardina
French Green/Puy (Dark speckled blue-green)
Green (Most common variety)
Black/Beluga
Yellow/Tan Lentils (Red inside)
Red Chief (Decorticated yellow lentils)
 Eston Green (Small green)
Richlea (Medium green)
Laird (Large green)
Petite Golden (Decorticated lentils)
Masoor (Brown-skinned lentils which are red inside)
Pigeon Peas
Channa Dal
Mung Lentils
 Petite Crimson/Red (Decorticated masoor lentils)
Chana (Kernel of chickpeas)
Urad (A type of bean)
White/Ivory (Peeled Urad beans)
Garlic Lentils (Genetically altered)
Macachiados (Big Mexican yellow lentils)

CP remove support for all lentils except for Eston Green Lentils. Net Benefit: Eston Green Lentils are a keystone species....they are key to hegemony....what if the Eston Green Lentil harvest stagnates or even shrinks? We might face a new period of conflict. North against south, Petite Golden against Spanish Pardina. These countries with their billions of people and there hundreds of lentils......don't matter much but its still enough to outweigh your stupid advantage.

Could you find a disad.....maybe...maybe not. Could it outweigh whatever stupid advantage the Lentil aff had....probably....because what would the advantage be. This illustrates two points. (1) Adding all this refuse creates limitless potential for race to the bottom shit that is completely irrelevant.....DO YOU WANT TO JUDGE THIS???? (2) All of this begs the question, what is the point of including something in the topic that isn't worth debating. DO YOU WANT TO READ THIS????

Considering all this....Fish, Sugar, and Factory farms are breath of fresh air.

Res 2A or 1A....preferably res 2A for reasons other people have already discussed.

W. James Taylor ("JT")

Asst. Debate Coach
Emporia State University