[eDebate] Voting on a topic based on NDT elims is stupid.

Kuswa, Kevin kkuswa
Sun Jul 13 09:33:06 CDT 2008

On-point, Ed!

To those of you saying "there is still aff flex," that is not the argument...the argument is what type?

The education "we incentivize" in Ed's words should outweigh predictions of ground that are impossible to substantiate.  That's why the proof for the narrow band we have selected is in the pudding/words of the resolution, not one person's speculations about fair ground in an edebate post.

Sure, we can hope that we discuss agriculture instead of federal spending, but it will be harder to do so given this focus.

kevin

________________________________

From: edebate-bounces at ndtceda.com on behalf of ed lee
Sent: Sun 7/13/2008 10:32 AM
To: scottelliott at grandecom.net; edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: Re: [eDebate] Voting on a topic based on NDT elims is stupid.

I actually agree with Scott.   My post is also (I would say primarily) concerned about the educational value of the topic.  Our squad is large and diverse.  I am also concerned about our novices who walk into a debate about one of the minor Title 1 crops and its relationship to some geopolitical future event that we have not discussed because they are still learning the mechanics of a debate.  I am also concerned about the debater who attends 4 tournaments a year.  I would like those debates to be about salient political issues.

I am more concerned about what knowledge and research we incentivize. I think it is better for our squad room discussions to focus on ethical, political and environmental ramifications of US subsidization and consumption of fisheries, ethanol, and cafos than mohair, sorghum and chickpeas.  We will spend an entire year discussing these issues.  I really do think it would be a travesty for us to exclude these issues when there are other ways to protect the negs ability to prepare for debates - which seems to be the only reason we would exclude them.