[eDebate] why did we vote against conferences?

Darren Elliott delliott
Sat Jul 19 15:08:19 CDT 2008

Tried sending a reply yesterday--dont think I was successful.  I am as astonished as Malgor is.

I should have posted early and often on my belief in "JED".  "JED" is a concept that if any changes come up that are agreed upon by "JED" as a good idea, they automatically be put in place.  "JED" is an acronym for Jarman, Elliott (me not Scott), and Davis (Mike).  I mean come on--all 3 of us thought this was a good idea.  When we agree it should be automatic.

But beyond that I think part of Jeff's rationale was proven in the voting.  Part of Jeff's rationale was that a good portion of the community may not really care about the "business" of the organization.  Many maybe only care about the topic, the rules relating to competition, etc.  But when all members can hamstring business by not having representation at business meetings for a majority of the Regions, it means those who dont really care about the running of the organization, can actually hold it up.  Our current structure makes this likely.  To prove Jeff's point: 35% of the organizational members didnt even care enough to vote.  Only 65% voted, and while the majority of those agreed it a good idea, it failed to reach super majority needed by 2 stinkin votes for the 2nd time.  It is a shame.  BUt we cannot allow this vote to impede progress.

As President, and I think the VP's are on board, we plan to authorize the Exec Sec to utilize his constitutional authority to present a plan for regional re-alignment.  The organization did at least have the foresight to see this problem and put in a measure to solve it.  It just is too bad the Exec Sec has to take on this burden as opposed to the membership being willing to shoulder the load by creating conferences.  But we must forge ahead.  Some regions are too small.  Others are likely too large.  We plan to solve those inequities and hopefully prevent our business meetings from being held up by Regions who do not participate.

Thanks for reading.
chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate and Forensics--KCKCC
CEDA President

>>> M G <malgorthewarrior at hotmail.com> 07/18/08 3:26 PM >>>

This was such a great idea, and with everyone speaking for it at the summer meeting, and no one speaking against it on edebate, i figured it would pass.

Could others please discuss their rationale for rejecting this proposal?  We always seem to be such a talkative bunch to be so quiet about this.

malgor