[eDebate] GSU College Tournament Invite- Increased Judging Commitment

Dr. Joe Bellon debate.gsu
Mon Jul 21 20:04:48 CDT 2008

Mike's post does a good job reflecting our thinking. Let me just add a
couple of points.

I respect Aaron's concern, but I disagree with his conclusions. This is a
decision we made after several years of complaints filed by teams and
coaches attending our tournament. Our desire has always been to create a
tournament that serves as many of the interests of our competitors as
possible, while still creating a high-quality competitive environment. One
of the most frequent complaints we have heard regards the difficulty of
creating highly preferred matchups between judges and teams, especially in
late prelim rounds.

Over the years, we have tried many different tactics to solve this problem.
Almost every year this tournament has been in existence, we have spent money
hiring quality local judges to supplement the pool. Every single year Mike
and I have spent time begging folks for extra rounds of judging, whether
during registration or on the second day of prelims. Many of you have been
generous enough to provide extra judging, compensated or not. For the past
several years, Mike has gone through the entire pool by hand, holding back a
group of highly preferred judges until the second day of prelims so we might
have a better chance of mutual preference on the second day.

All of this has not been enough. Although we are proud of the work we have
done to improve the mutuality of judging at our tournament, we continue to
hear complaints, and we continue to find ourselves in bad positions in
rounds seven and eight. There have been many discussions about the reasons
for this, and Mike has a much better knowledge of the statistics on this
than I do. The point is that there is a problem and, given current community
preferences and constraints, this is the best solution we can come up with.

Let me stress one part of the invite that has not received enough discussion
so far: if your financial situation prevents you from sending all the teams
you want AND all the judges you need, contact me. We are reasonable humans,
and we want as many teams as possible to be able to attend the tournament.
Every year, we waive or reduce fees for programs in trouble. We will work to
find a solution to your problems.

Finally, allow me to second Mike's call for better solutions to this
problem. We want to be creative, and we want to solve the problem without
putting an additional resource burden on everyone. Many of the changes we
have made this year have been designed to reduce overall costs.

Dr. Joe Bellon
Director of Debate
Georgia State University