[eDebate] GSU College Tournament Invite- Increased Judging Commitment

Stefan Bauschard stefan.bauschard
Mon Jul 21 20:08:38 CDT 2008

>I use at regional tournaments is ABC
with no strikes. I like it because it preferences mutuality instead of
preference. This means new judges get some exposure. Now I think if we
adopted this at the GSU tournament not as many people might come.

This is really the only solution I don't like at all. It is only
psychological (33% of the pool is not A judging for any team) and it is
harmful (it collapses preference -- within A there is A1, A2, A3 and in many
debates there will be A1,A3 "mutual preferences", essentially creating 1/3
judging in multiple debates in a 9 category system).

Systems with higher number categories better protect mutuality because they
can provide A2/A2 or A3/A3.  It *appears* to lower preference but it doesn't
because you can get those A3 judges (your 3s)  or your B6 judges (your 6s!)
all the time in the ABC system.

When running a tournament, I'd rather have the ability to try to give teams
an A1/A1 or an A2/A2 in a break round rather than end up given teams an
A1/A3.- Show quoted text -

--
Stefan Bauschard

President & Co-Founder, PlanetDebate.com
Director of Debate, Lakeland Schools
Debate Coach, Harvard Debate

(c) 781-775-0433
(fx) 617-588-0283