[eDebate] Quick reaction on two tub experiment

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Tue Jul 22 11:54:35 CDT 2008

I have been working on a paperless debating system for several years and it
unfortunately keeps getting delayed.

we did do a bunch of tests of it in april and may and it is getting closer
but it is not quite there.

the basics of it:
--each debater has a laptop connected to another laptop (used to share
evidence with the other team).
--you organize and read your evidence on your laptop and when you finish
reading a position (a document), you press a key and it transfers the
document to the other laptop
--of course, all files are electronic (although, if you wanted, you could
have some files be paper, eg ones you use frequently)

the problems:
--organizing the files so that they can be easily updated for the whole team
when new research comes in
--the macro for the key and its wireless connectivity needs to be
bulletproofed; that is what is stalled right now
--organizing the files when preparing for the speeches--windows does not
make organizing open files easy (we are using taskbar shuffle which is
insufficient)
--various and sundry other items

cost issues:
--the files are standard word documents (you can ocr files and make them
text documents)
--you do not need expensive hardware; windows xp and 512mb ram will do you
fine
--the extra laptop can be an old duster
--new, quite decent laptops can be got for $500 to $600 these days--compare
to the costs of traveling tubs/printing/larger rental vehicle costs over a 2
to 3 year period of owning that laptop

tech backup issues during the round
--yep, you'll need to have extension cords, surge protectors, backup plans
for failure, etc.

if I could get our tech services to finish the macro and I could get a
program that will organize the open files and then if I can get time to test
this out, in my opinion, we will be ready to go in 2009. my team may not
agree with that assessment :) but that's my view.

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu