[eDebate] Making up strawmen is a bad form of argument in Parly(ans. to Jason, Mattt, Joe)

Fri Jun 20 10:27:36 CDT 2008

I am trying to figure out where in the hell Jason, Matt and Zomp are gleaning
format elitism from a simple rhetorical question.

I don't think any of you know what YOU are talking about. You certainly do not
know what I am talking about because I have not said shit one about Parly this
week.  WDI used to have a strong high school CX summer program. In fact I
recommended it to area high school students. To their and my dismay, it was
cancelled this year from lack of participation.  I am not going to get into
some debate over which has more merit, parly or policy.  I think they are
aesthetic choices that various directors make. Given the current costs of
travel and the continued shrinking of high school and college policy
tournaments, forcing programs to travel hundreds of miles for a tournament,
economics may drive me to choose parly in the future. The closest policy
tournament for my program is now an eight hour drive (Dallas and Denton, from
Lafayette.)

So, as usual, Jason, you try to bend an original claim for your own random rant
about policy format elitism. Nowhere in that post did I say parly was evil.
Only, if anything, that policy debate is being neglected. Maybe you should try
to figure out where I am coming from before you set up a strawman and then have
you, Matt and Zomp enjoy knocking it down.