[eDebate] Intl Debate Academy

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Sat Jun 21 11:58:34 CDT 2008

Scott Elliott says:

    In your zeal for international debate stardom, have you abandoned high school cx
    debate the same way you have abandoned college policy debate?

    Scott Elliott

Dear Scott,

Pardon my levity.

As I am just finishing my work in Las Vegas as director of operations
for NFL HS nationals, as yesterday I spoke to and encouraged hs policy
coaches and debaters, as I worked closely with and facilitated the 200+
hs policy tournament here won by my friend Dave Huston of Colleyville
Heritage and two awesome young men in the final over New Trier, I can
only chuckle at your remark. I guess the fact that I have been here for
ten days working on this has escaped your notice. Sure, I coordinated
the entire tournament with 17 different events, 5500 people at five
different competition sites, but it did include policy debate. I watched
the final round and enjoyed it. I even webcast it to some very grateful
parents.

I am not sure you know all that I do. Before you go using words like
"abandon" you need to get some better information. Like, ask me.

I do a lot of stuff. At home, abroad, in a wide variety of debate
formats. I support debate in all of its forms.

I am amused at your accusation that I am abandoning college policy
debate. In a recent email to the 28 debaters who attended tournaments
last year I outlined our policy schedule.
Tournaments at the regional level include 7 tournaments.
Tournaments at the national level include 8 tournaments.

And I have training scheduled abroad (Chile and Venezuela, for example),
am taking teams overseas to tournaments in the WUDC format, work with
the National Public Policy Forum hs policy debate program, and I have
been invited to be director of operations at NFL nationals again next
year. This summer I am working with 18 students from Pakistan,
Bangladesh and India in a one-week debate workshop sponsored by the
State Dept. in a project held at UVM, but then that isn't policy debate.

And the International Debate Academy. And hosting US Universities
Debating Championship at UVM in April, but then that is also the WUDC
format.

I am not trying for "stardom" in your words, but continuing in my career
of promoting debate. My endowed professorship includes an obligtion to
promote debate everywhere in every format. It's my job. I am lucky to
have it.

And I have a surprise project/trip I will be announcing soon (or, when I
get the money).

Scott, you have achieved "stardom" in my book. I want to congratulate
you for not abandoning debate, for starting a new debate program, and
for all the work you do. Keep serving the cause and please give me the
benefit of the doubt.

Tuna

--
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna