[eDebate] helping BYU debate

Jacob.Thompson at unlv.edu Jacob.Thompson
Thu Jun 26 12:39:11 CDT 2008

Because BYU would have been another new addition to D9, I took the
initiative to contact the student who emailed Tuna.

Unfortunately, this program is Parli only, and won't/can't switch to
NDT/CEDA policy debate.

Anyone interested in helping a parli program???  If anyone wants to get
ahold of him, his email address is truthlikefire at yahoo.com

Jake

Dear Mr Thompson,

Points of fact:

1.  BYU has a bad debate history.  Our team was caught cheating in the
1970s.
2.  We have raised approximately 5,500 dollars for the coming year.  That
is about three times what we previously have had.  We expect to raise at
least another 5000.  We have written letters to eight more school
departments for sponsorship.
3.  I am a parliamentary debater.  The team is parli.
4.  We have little to no staff help.  Our advisor is a dean that really
likes to live through the team but is so busy he is unable to be
proactive.  Other staff don't want to step on his toes by helping out.
5.  We hired a former debater who is now a vice president for
overstock.com.  He will be our coach so to speak.
6.  We have broken ground and recruited 6 solid incoming students who will
be bolster our skill pool.

     I am not sure if policy is in the cards for us at th is time,
unfortunately.  We are having a hard time getting the funding that
competing schools are easily granted.

Truly,
Andrew

Dr. Jacob Thompson, Ph.D.
Director, Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum
Assistant Professor In Residence
Greenspun College of Urban Affairs
Department of Communication Studies
University of Nevada, Las Vegas