[eDebate] Making up strawmen is a bad form of argument in Parly(ans. to Jason, Mattt, Joe)

matt stannard stannardmatt
Fri Jun 20 12:57:56 CDT 2008

Regardless, you made an accusatory and unprofessional statement against a colleague that I doubt you'd want any of your administrators to see.

mjs> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:27:36 -0500> From: scottelliott at grandecom.net> To: edebate at ndtceda.com> Subject: [eDebate] Making up strawmen is a bad form of argument in Parly(ans. to Jason, Mattt, Joe)> > > I am trying to figure out where in the hell Jason, Matt and Zomp are gleaning> format elitism from a simple rhetorical question.> > I don't think any of you know what YOU are talking about. You certainly do not> know what I am talking about because I have not said shit one about Parly this> week. WDI used to have a strong high school CX summer program. In fact I> recommended it to area high school students. To their and my dismay, it was> cancelled this year from lack of participation. I am not going to get into> some debate over which has more merit, parly or policy. I think they are> aesthetic choices that various directors make. Given the current costs of> travel and the continued shrinking of high school and college policy> tournaments, forcing programs to travel hundreds of miles for a tournament,> economics may drive me to choose parly in the future. The closest policy> tournament for my program is now an eight hour drive (Dallas and Denton, from> Lafayette.)> > So, as usual, Jason, you try to bend an original claim for your own random rant> about policy format elitism. Nowhere in that post did I say parly was evil.> Only, if anything, that policy debate is being neglected. Maybe you should try> to figure out where I am coming from before you set up a strawman and then have> you, Matt and Zomp enjoy knocking it down.> > > _______________________________________________> eDebate mailing list> eDebate at www.ndtceda.com> http://www.ndtceda.com/mailman/listinfo/edebate
The other season of giving begins 6/24/08. Check out the i?m Talkathon.
http://www.imtalkathon.com?source=TXT_EML_WLH_SeasonOfGiving