[eDebate] helping BYU debate
Thu Jun 26 13:20:37 CDT 2008
I plan to email this student to further explore the Policy/Parli divide.
I found his post to Jake interesting. "Cheating in the 1970s". They were CEDA Sweeps National Champions in 1980. They competed in Policy through the early 90s. Clearly something in the 70s did not bring them down. The BYU Director in the early 80s is a distinguished Professor in Comm. who happens to have an office just down the hall from me and has taught here at KCKCC since his debate retirement in the late 80s. He competed at BYU as a student against some NDT legends. I am sure he will be excited to know BYU is making a comeback in some form.
Director of Debate and Forensics--KCKCC
>>> <Jacob.Thompson at unlv.edu> 6/26/2008 12:39 PM >>>
Because BYU would have been another new addition to D9, I took the initiative to contact the student who emailed Tuna.
Unfortunately, this program is Parli only, and won't/can't switch to NDT/CEDA policy debate.
Anyone interested in helping a parli program??? If anyone wants to get ahold of him, his email address is truthlikefire at yahoo.com
Dear Mr Thompson,
Points of fact:
1. BYU has a bad debate history. Our team was caught cheating in the 1970s.
2. We have raised approximately 5,500 dollars for the coming year. That is about three times what we previously have had. We expect to raise at least another 5000. We have written letters to eight more school departments for sponsorship.
3. I am a parliamentary debater. The team is parli.
4. We have little to no staff help. Our advisor is a dean that really likes to live through the team but is so busy he is unable to be proactive. Other staff don't want to step on his toes by helping out.
5. We hired a former debater who is now a vice president for overstock.com. He will be our coach so to speak.
6. We have broken ground and recruited 6 solid incoming students who will be bolster our skill pool.
I am not sure if policy is in the cards for us at th is time, unfortunately. We are having a hard time getting the funding that competing schools are easily granted.
Dr. Jacob Thompson, Ph.D.
Director, Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum
Assistant Professor In Residence
Greenspun College of Urban Affairs
Department of Communication Studies
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 Maryland Parkway Box 45052
Las Vegas, NV 89154-4502
office (702) 895-3474
fax (702) 895-4805
cell (702) 809-9670
Rebel Debate on the web:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Mailman