[eDebate] CEDA Nats judging - please note

Gary Larson Gary.N.Larson
Wed Mar 5 18:09:50 CST 2008

Given the good outcomes last year and successful ongoing experiments at a number of invitational tournaments this year, we will again use ordinal preferences at CEDA Nats this year.

Since one of the biggest challenges with ordinal preferences is the potentially increased time required to make all of the available discriminations, we would like to open up the pref sheets this weekend using Jon Bruschke's tools that facilitate ordinal ranking.  While those tools continue to work even when judges are added and subtracted from the pool, we would like to have the information as accurate as possible as soon as possible.

As a result, I would request that everyone try to firm up their judging commitments as soon as possible.  A number of schools are still short of their commitment.  Please tell us how you will fill out your judging.

I would also like to repeat my annual plea for judges to volunteer rounds for the tournament.  With mutual preference judging, everyone in the community benefits if there are additional rounds available.  As opposed to increasing fees in order to have the tournament hire additional judging, an ideal "community" solution is to volunteer in order to make mutual preference work better.  We will be very happy to write appropriate thanks you's to your administrators in exchange for your assistance.

GARY