[eDebate] Pies and more

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Tue Mar 18 12:50:08 CDT 2008

Over the years I have been strongly opposed to actions by any debater
that hinder the abilities of other debaters to express their ideas and
arguments. These have included:

* Yelling while others are speaking
* Slamming doors and windows while others are speaking
* Taking evidence and briefs out of the hands of the debaters who are
still reading them
* Touching or bothering the speaker during a speech

It would seem to me that pie throwing would also inhibit one's ability
to express ideas and arguments.

By the way, just because there is a "literature" somewhere about
something does not make it a good idea, as many have mentioned.

How about:

* Setting off stink bombs in the debate room to make a point
* Blinding opponents with lasers
* Sabotaging evidence, like by pouring sewage into someone's expando
* Firing squirt guns with ink at opponents

There are a lot more.

If we cannot go to  tournament without some assurance that we will be
able to make our arguments without these sorts of assaults, why attend?

I would ask all tournament directors to include in their invitation a
clause about not interfering with the right of any debater to express
their arguments, and violators get tossed. I will work on some wording
and suggest it later.

Tuna

--
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna