[eDebate] Pies and more
Tue Mar 18 12:50:08 CDT 2008
Over the years I have been strongly opposed to actions by any debater
that hinder the abilities of other debaters to express their ideas and
arguments. These have included:
* Yelling while others are speaking
* Slamming doors and windows while others are speaking
* Taking evidence and briefs out of the hands of the debaters who are
still reading them
* Touching or bothering the speaker during a speech
It would seem to me that pie throwing would also inhibit one's ability
to express ideas and arguments.
By the way, just because there is a "literature" somewhere about
something does not make it a good idea, as many have mentioned.
* Setting off stink bombs in the debate room to make a point
* Blinding opponents with lasers
* Sabotaging evidence, like by pouring sewage into someone's expando
* Firing squirt guns with ink at opponents
There are a lot more.
If we cannot go to tournament without some assurance that we will be
able to make our arguments without these sorts of assaults, why attend?
I would ask all tournament directors to include in their invitation a
clause about not interfering with the right of any debater to express
their arguments, and violators get tossed. I will work on some wording
and suggest it later.
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna
Edwin Lawrence Professor of Forensics
University of Vermont
Huber House, 475 Main Street, UVM, Burlington, VT 05405 USA
Global Debate Blog http://globaldebateblog.blogspot.com
Debate Central http://debate.uvm.edu
World Debate Institute http://debate.uvm.edu/wdi/
World Debate Institute Blog http://worlddebateinstitute.blogspot.com
802-656-0097 office telephone
802-656-4275 office fax
More information about the Mailman