[eDebate] Pie Throwing

Megan Jean Harlow mharlow
Tue Mar 18 23:42:49 CDT 2008

I think the context of this situation is incredibly important
Diante a black student and Derek a white student were running an
argument about how debate is full of white privilege.  During cross ex
of the 1ac a pie is thrown in Diante's face.  The audience besides for
sure me and Diante and I think one or two judges, starts laughing.
Diante says Megan I need to change my shirt we walk outside.  Diante
was filled with rage and felt incredibly insulted.  I also was
incredibly angry and upset I couldn't even speak I have never felt
that way about any incident I have seen in debate.  We walk to the car
to get D a new shirt and the energy between me and D was full of
shock.  I was scared my debater who took it upon himself to talk about
issues of racism within debate despite the current opposition of
critique debate especially affirmative that aren't topical and address
racism WITHIN the debate community.  The lack of the other teams
consideration of a history of the minstrel show shocked me.  I am not
blaming debaters but the attitude and comments I have seen in response
to this situation do make me mad.  I come to a debate tournament, an
educational activity, a classroom where I think the main priority
should be creating an environment open to debate.  Diante says in his
words " I think it is bullshit for a debate community to laugh in the
face of my dehumanization in a debate round when I am arguing that
racism is real and it happens in a debate round and at the same time
it disrespects my feelings and beliefs, and my personal heroes of
Malcolm X and Martin Luther King and those who made a change in the
civil rights era by saying you should laugh at the seriousness of
arguments".  If we want to continue to have debate tournaments where
there is an open environment and we can discuss a variety of issues it
is important that we have some sort of ethical responsibility, we must
make a classroom environment where students are not at risk of
physical violence should they violate topicality, or discuss issues of
importance within their life.  What happened in that round has made me
more shocked and upset and more passionate about arguments such as
Diantes affirmative.  We do need to discuss the issues of racism
WITHIN debate rounds, issues of our educational methods.  If this
happened in a college classroom, a high school classroom the response
would be overwhelmingly against the incident.  The student would
likely be expelled and it would be all over the media.
Also pie throwing is a form of activism that challenges the state,
throw the pie in the face of power.  In this room the argument was not
an accurate representation of the form of activism the negative team
was hoping for.  In the face of racism I do not think laughing and
making the student who openly admits that the debate community has
created an environment that is similar to a prison.  This is not
funny.  And to whoever said you should run a topical aff, that is
horrible.  To endorse violence against any team that is untopical is
unethical at the least.  The context of the West Georgia round is
incredibly different.  Kansas's arg was that West Georgia was too much
of a clown, so they threw the pie at West Georgia.  That pie would and
should not have been thrown at Louisville.