[eDebate] some numbers--debaters this time

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Tue Mar 25 14:44:31 CDT 2008

No, not about judges in outrounds this time.  That discussion hasn't gone
anywhere.  Let's talk debaters this time.  Thanks to the amazing Gary
Larson, who provided virtually real-time updates to those of us watching
from afar, you can look at all sorts of things with respect to CEDA
Nationals (or you can just salute an amazing team of Tigers, who give hope
to all of us "small" programs).  Since I had two senior women debating
together for the last time, I looked at gender and success at CEDA
Nationals.  No, not just speaker awards, but take a look there, too.

Bearing in mind that there are probably about 10% of names where I'm not
sure of gender, I broke the teams into 3 categories:  1)  pretty sure it's
two women; 2) pretty sure it's two men; 3) either not very sure or pretty
sure that it's one woman and one man.

Here's what I got:
Category 1:  pretty sure it's two women; about 33 teams, of which about 4
cleared (12%).
Category 2:  pretty sure it's two men; about 85 teams, of which 46 cleared
(54%).
Category 3:  either one woman and one man, or not very sure; 65 teams, of
which 20 cleared (31%).

Caveats:
1.  The analysis is only as good as my guesses on gender, but the relatively
small number of "unknown" cases means that the general trend would hold.
2.  These data are only from one year.
3.  Clearly, there are multiple explanations for the relationship I seem to
have found.
4.  Clearly, one of those explanations is a variation in debate experience
between women and men competing at CEDA Nationals.

Still, discussion???

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University