[eDebate] The Big Picture

Ede Warner ewarner
Fri Mar 21 19:40:42 CDT 2008

Jason,

Bored after watching UCONN mess up my bracket, so I thought I'd send a rejoiner to Jason's post.  In the newest reality show, "Celebrity Rehab", the patients have a food fight.  Seth says, "throwing food has nothing to do with my sobriety."  Every expert on the show disagrees.  "Jason says that pies have nothing to do with the larger systemic problems of CEDA, and Ede is just scare mongering."  The history of debate offers strong empirical evidence proving that Jason's desire to stick his head in the sand, is just that, avoiding the truth hoping it will go away.  The evidence that he should perhaps pick it up...

CEDA membership is currently 119 schools.
CEDA membership reached a high of 275 schools in 1983-84.
NDT membership is 114 schools.
NDT was over 300 in the late sixties.
Both were at their highest before MPJ.
Over 100 HCBU's never joined CEDA or the NDT.
When I debated, many if not most debate programs were in Comm departments, ran by Phds.
Now, most run by Master's degrees and many are at risk as student organizations or clubs.
The entire organization attempted to grab PR and advertising for connections to the Great Debaters--some in ethical ways accurately describing similarities and differences between what they did in the interracial debates and what really occurs in today's debate--while others were less forthcoming with truthful comparisons.  Of course, a healthy organization would have less motivation for such questionable actions.
That's just the tip of the iceberg.  And let me pre-empt a few claims.  Gordon's recent post: there are more teams debating, just at fewer schools.  Yep.  I suspect that may create a short term salvation for traditional policy debate.  But in the end, a 20 school debate organization is going to run into some serious problems.  How many athletic sports exist for only 20 schools?  Any extra-curricular?  You do the math.

Debate organizations currently hide behind creative use of numbers and the ability to create deception even inside their own organizations.  Try explaining why NDT/CEDA has no less than 12 national championship tournaments.  I told a reporter we were going to "3" a couple of years ago and that got 5 follow-up questions.

Of course, none of this addresses the diversity issues, but hey, one molehill at a time.

A pie in the face isn't the problem, just a symptom of it.  Your attempts to describe today's CEDA/NDT as healthy is not grounded in historical or empirical evidence and is self-serving.

I know most of you disagree, so unless you are brining facts, please don't harass me without them.  Thanks.

-Ede

Ede Warner, Jr.
Director of Debate Society/Associate Professor of Communication
University of Louisville
308E Strickler Hall
502-852-3522
e0warn01 at gwise.louisville.edu