[eDebate] The Big Picture

road runner db8coach
Fri Mar 21 20:53:39 CDT 2008

I have to agree with Ede. I think that the policy debate I was so heavily involved in IS diminishing in size and stature.

The WHY is what I am more interested in. I got no stats or facts to back me up, just my opinion of why.

Quite simply, debate has become boring. Boring as hell.

Debating about racism in CEDA/NDT may raise our social consciousness, but I don't find it very entertaining or exciting. Sure, others might, and they will likely be the last ones standing when my view of debate dies out. If that's what they want, and if that's what they want to debate, then they are welcome to it. No hard feelings.

People have been leaving policy debate for several years now, and I think it is because debate is no longer fun. We don't have nearly as many topic throw downs, but instead have to watch mock rapes, listen to endless rounds of how capitalism is bad, listen to a bunch of silly post modern gobbledy-guk that almost no one really understands, and listen to how debate is racist. That simply is NOT what I signed on for. It's not fun. It's not entertaining. It's boring.

I could be wrong, but this is why I think people are leaving policy debate. It's one of the main reasons I'm not as involed as I used to be. It will be one of the main reasons I leave.

Bob Lechtreck