[eDebate] The Big Picture

Duane Hyland privethedge
Sat Mar 22 09:30:58 CDT 2008

Hi, Oh..two clarifications:

  I love policy debate and will fight like mad to preserve it, 300+ delivery speeds and all. I'm taking a year off coaching to travel Virginia next year, especially out to rural Virginia, to convince teachers and kids that policy is worth it. I'm not comdemning policy or hoping it goes away. I think every forensics program should commit to offering all the events, as long as there are kids who want to take part in them! I think if people want the format where 300+ is good and fun and exciting (and it is) then it should be there. But, perhaps we should offer other formats of policy debate to include kids who wouldn't feel comfortable in that environment (perhaps a form based on slower speed with persuasion being part of hte ballot? Perhaps a form predicated on the hurling of pastery items? I don't know..just different things.. I mean..IE can do it with HI, DI, Duo, POI, Prose, Poetry - it's all interp, just different forms..why not policy debate in some different forms?)

  Secondly - I agree with Mr. Russel, speed is only one factor in the demise of this activity. Costs, both travel and hosting, are rising, othe pressures consume kids - the point of my post was not to put the blame squarely on speed, but to say that speed certainly played a factor in the decline given the statistcal drop offs at the period where speed rose.

  It's a complex problem. I hope my trip around the Commonwealth next year gives me some insights.

  Duane

 "If all mankind minus one were of one opinion and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that person that he, if he had the power, would be in silencing mankind
 If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth; if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by  its collision with error." John S. Mill
  Who said Dr. Who isn't Funny: "Rose: You Didn't Have to Kill him! Dalek: "Neither did we need him to live."
Dalek to Cyberman: :"You are Superior to us in one respect." Cyberman: "What is that?" Dalek: "Dying!"