[eDebate] Director of Forensics Opening at SF State

Shawn Whalen swhalen
Fri May 23 17:25:00 CDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I have been elected to chair our academic senate and as a result we have an
opening for a temporary director of forensics.  I will be happy to answer
any questions that you might have about the job.  I will continue to serve
as the host for the Golden Gate Season Opener.

The official ad is below.

Shawn Whalen

The official ad:

The Communication Studies Department at San Francisco State University
invites applications for a temporary Director of Forensics for the academic
year 2008-09. The successful applicant's primary duties will be to coach a
large CEDA Debate and AFA Individual Events Program, prepare and manage the
budget for that program, and schedule and travel with students to regional
and national tournaments. The Director of Forensics teaches three courses
per semester, including COMM 368, "Workshop in Forensics." In addition to
COMM 368, the successful applicant must be able to teach COMM 150,
"Fundamental Oral Communication," COMM 351 "Public Speaking," COMM 365
"Argumentation & Debate," and/or COMM 362 "Oral Interpretation of
Literature."

Qualifications:

Demonstrated experience coaching both policy debate and individual events;

Demonstrated excellence in college/University teaching;

Experience in scheduling travel and managing budgets;

An earned M.A. degree in Communication Studies (required);

Demonstrated ability to interact successfully within a multicultural
environment and work harmoniously with students, colleagues and the
community;

Experience hosting forensics tournaments desired;

Commercial Driving License eligible (Class B Driving License desired).

Rank & Salary:

This is a temporary, full-time lecturer position for Academic Year 2008-09.
The salary will be negotiated commensurate with experience and
qualifications. San Francisco State University, as part of the California
State University system, provides generous health and retirement benefits,
as well as domestic partner benefits.

Application Procedures:

Send letter of application describing a philosophy of forensics education
and areas of expertise, current curriculum vitae, evidence of teaching
effectiveness including, but not limited to, student ratings of instruction
and peer observations of teaching, and at least three letters of
recommendation to:

Gerianne Merrigan, Chair

Communication Studies Department

San Francisco State University

1600 Holloway Avenue

San Francisco, CA  94132

Application Deadline:

Application review begins June 01, 2008 and continues until the position is
filled.