[eDebate] Gonzo/Russia

J T jtedebate
Thu May 8 11:23:28 CDT 2008

which point does this disagree on...I said the same about the middle east topic...one where the only real "generic" was the K...people wen the K route, and others developed "generic" strategies within the specific countries...why is a grand unifying generic strategy necessarily good?  I am certainly sympathetic to the small school issue, but if you didn't die out last year, you'll survive

David Cram Helwich <cramhelwich at gmail.com> wrote: I disagree with one of JT's point--

Malgor, Dylan's and others' point is that a lack of unifying ground in the topic ensures that teams go uber-generic in crafting their fallback negative strategies. The mideast topic did not offer core, topic-specific negative ground. Realizing this, the Gophers' first two negative assignments were a Geographic Aesthetics K and Consult EU. Obviously, we have a really young squad that is still finding its research legs, but we still went for those arguments in a TON of debates, even some late in the season against new and/or corner affs.

On the flip side, on the energy topic, Mac's first three neg files were an oil prices DA, a coal prices DA, and a natural gas prices DA. I think that most people would agree that it was easier to be negative on the energy topic.

$.02

dch
head gopher