[eDebate] Animals/Subsidies/Scott

Thu May 8 13:57:36 CDT 2008

Yeah, Jason,  it is extracompetitive. my larger point is that subsidies,
increasing or decreasing, is a weak solvency mechanism regardless of the topic
chosen. Once you begin researching the high school topic "energy incentives,"
you will begin to see what I mean. The Ag topic suffers from having a weak
solvency mechanism when there are more direct ways to solve. So, even if the
"ban it" counter-plan is subject to a perm, it does not deny that there are
prima facia better ways to solve than simply increasing or decreasing
subsidies.

If we do choose the Ag topic, I'd like to see a better means of addressing Ag
issues than just a focus on subsidies.

Scott