[eDebate] ordinals for wake

Gary Larson Gary.N.Larson
Thu Nov 13 10:03:36 CST 2008

Since I've received two very similar requests this AM, I'll post the answer to everyone.

>>>Sorry to bother you - I know I did ordinals at CEDA, but I vaguely remember the process/rules of it all - could you briefly tell me what I am striving for?  Can I rank people the same number?  1 is best?  Sorry....just can't remember how it all worked.

Using the tools that Jon provides, the simplest is to just rank non-constrained judges 1-X with no ties (1 is best).  Most people do it this way.

But, if you would like to have ties, they are permitted as long as the tie is at the top of the range rather than the middle or the bottom.  As an illustration, if you are ranking the top 10 you can have

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

OR something like

1,1,1,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

but you can't have

1,4,4,4,5,6,7,8,9,10  OR 1,3,3,3,5,6,7,8,9,10

The "rule" is that no judge in your top X judges can be ranked worse than X.  The two "bad" examples each have the 2nd ranked judged ranked lower than 2.

GARY