[eDebate] A Participation Question

Sean Malley xaze0x
Fri Nov 28 02:39:18 CST 2008

I've been wondering for some time now, what amount of participation do
squads around the country see from engineering students. Despite the
sheer number of engineering professors hounding students about poor
public speaking techniques and recruiters lamenting about recent
graduates lack of communication skills, sparse few students decide to
participate in policy debate. Granted, it's distinctly possible I'm
just at the opposite tournaments and have a much skewed idea of how
many engineers are also debaters, so I'm wondering do we have any
actual numbers on debate participation vs. academic majors? Are there
any squads that actually have any significant engineering
participation?

Just curious,
Sean