[eDebate] MPJ at tournaments with multiple divisions

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Tue Nov 11 12:55:07 CST 2008

I'll add in another voice here.

I support mpj in all divisions.

still, I believe open division should receive mpj first. why? 1) open debates require a more discerning eye for distinguishing who won and thus having a pref'd judge becomes more important. I am not saying that novice and jv divisions don't get close but they are, as a whole, less intricate. 2) open debaters have, as a whole, put more years into the activity and they deserve some preference for their judging. 3) that's on top of the arguments about how some judges are novice/jv judges only.

that said, I do think novice and jv divisions should still get mpj and I think gary's email raises an interesting question, at least for me, about whether break rounds in novice and jv divisions should get priority over teams that are out in open division. I think they should and it is something I had not thought about before.

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu

From: NEIL BERCH
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:37 AM
To: Edebate ; Gary Larson
Subject: Re: [eDebate] MPJ at tournaments with multiple divisions

That would be, as all of Gary's efforts are, a tremendous boon to our community.  Speaking as someone who has tabbed multiple tournaments with MPJ in three divisions, I think it's important to recognize one other practical issue.  At most such tournaments, there are a few judges who are self-restricted to JV and Novice, and there are often many judges who are self-restricted to Novice.  Thus, if one starts by pairing Novice (because Gary's point is of course correct with regard to the impact of the order of pairing), one runs the very real risk of not using enough of those Novice-only judges in Novice and then running out of judges by the time you pair Open (which then requires tab room intervention to move judges from one division to another, and I share Gary's strong belief that minimizing tab room intervention is a primary goal).

Bottom line is that being able to assign judges across multiple divisions at once in TRPC would be a great improvement, and we should all be grateful to all of those who work to improve the mechanics of what we do.

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University