[eDebate] Fair Scouting Re: Yet another Shirley Update

JP Lacy lacyjp
Fri Nov 14 01:40:00 CST 2008

I remember the day when caselists were "closed."

Those with large squads and coaching staffs had info. Their friends had
some access to that information. Teams who weren't in the loop "thought
on their feet." People in the know knew exactly where those "thinkers"
had to go.

It wasn't fair. Its sort of like the Pats stealing defensive calls. Some
teams knew the other's playbooks. Others didn't. Its better if everyone
has the same access.

Shared scouting is & was a reaction to that era of debate.

You're right: Debate hasn't improved "that much" since then. At least
now people can have a decent clue about what their opponent is going to
say. Given that information will be collected & shared, why not improve
that information & share it with more people?

It isn't "forced disclosure" that improves debating...its the better
scouting that results that improves debating as a whole. (We can scout
higher priority information.) Bad "gotcha" arguments only last one round
& less information inequities abound.

--JP

ps-If you're itching for a fancy case debate instead of the same old K &
Politics stuff, maybe you should make a stop at The Shirley:) I don't
know who claimed scouting caused "Awesome Case Debates." At least, it
makes the value of that F-22 disad what its really worth.