[eDebate] AFA and CEDA Professionalism Standards

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Fri Nov 14 13:16:14 CST 2008

I initially read through the afa professional conduct policy to defend it with some alterations. I still come at this issue from that perspective--that we should have expectations against abusive behavior.

but having read through the policy, I am stunned at how outdated the entire policy is. there are multiple expectations in the document that are not followed in our community on a routine basis (e.g. coaches may not research evidence for teams except for "show how to do it" purposes--that's something most of us know BUT DID YOU KNOW THAT judges who do not write written ballots shall be censured, and that 5/7 (odd numbered) round tournaments are against the rules).

and specific to this issue, this newly suggested policy needs major revision if the afa really cares about the first amendment and about its role in our professional lives and programs.

jason and others have raised a number of very legitimate concerns. I'm going to state two more that I have:

1. the afa becomes a police force for individual school policies. I have major concerns with this both in the sense that it subjects all of us to differing standards (which of course is expected) but now the afa interprets these school policies; I can't imagine the afa being in a good place to enforce a policy from my school or any school as they don't know the full meaning of the school's policies nor the way such policies are utilized at the school. not to mention, now the afa will censure someone for a violation--but not another person--because of differing school policies.

but worst of all, what if the school's policy is one that we as a community don't support. say a school has a policy against displays of gay/lesbian love. as I understand subsection 5 (the last sentence is missing "shall be deemed unprofessional conduct"), the afa would be required to enforce that school's rule. that is not what the afa should be doing. it should NOT be involved in enforcing school policies. schools should enforce their own policies.

5.     Forensics educators shall act in accordance with their own institutional obligations. Failure to adhere to employer's policies (e.g., a person suspended or terminated for violations of university sexual harassment policy, substance abuse policy, fiduciary policy or academic responsibility policy may be subject to sanctions by the AFA).

2. the document provides no definition of what shall be deemed unprofessional conduct. jason made this point but I want to make it really clear because the document appears to say what unprofessional conduct is but it doesn't. the document says: "behaviors . . . that violate the community standard of a healthy educational environment shall be deemed "unprofessional conduct." that is it. no guidance, nothing.

in 3, the document appears to say that "behaviors which belittle, degrade, demean, or otherwise dehumanize others" "violate the community standard of a healthy educational environment" but the wording does NOT say that. the two are not explicitly connected. this is a serious shortcoming. (and jason and rae lynn and others are right that the wording itself is too vague although I think it is close to being okay)

further, as I said, having read through the afa document and with all due respect to the committee members--a number of whom I know, I am _seriously_ concerned about a lack of organizational understanding about how our community operates. when the afa is using this new policy to punish someone for inappropriate behaviors, with a document that says judges should be censured for not writing out a ballot, I think the entire enterprise is called into question.

3.      The AFA acknowledges the district and national tournaments sponsored by the association are designed to promote responsible and effective discourse. The AFA recognizes that behaviors which belittle, degrade, demean, or otherwise dehumanize others are not in the best interest of the activities sponsored by the AFA. Such behaviors interfere with the goals of forensic education.

 4. All participants in an AFA sponsored event shall recognize the rights of others and communicate with respect for opponents, colleagues, critics, tournament hosts and audience members. Behaviors by any tournament participants occurring at an AFA sponsored event that violate the community standard of a healthy educational environment shall be deemed "Unprofessional Conduct." Unprofessional conduct is subject to sanction(s) by the AFA.

3. I think the afa should do two things to rescue this effort:

a) examine the fighting words doctrine (and not just its immediate wording of inciting violence, lawlessness or inflicting injury--but the full context of it--for example, that the behaviors must be directed at specific individuals). hostile work/educational environment would also be good--and all of this considered in the context of debate--the exchange of ideas which happens in and out of the debate itself.

b) meet/work with the policy debate community to remove a number of sections of this document so that it actually matches what we do so that we can have some confidence that this document reflects the ACTUAL community practices and beliefs we have.

while I still support a policy, I urge the committee to make _major_ revisions to what they are doing, and seek our input in this process through another set of revisions--rather than just having a vote to do something.