[eDebate] Easy way to solve the PR Problem

Wed Oct 1 21:02:28 CDT 2008

I know this may come as a shock to most of you, but there really is an easy
solution to all of the Bad PR. It has nothing to do with a new code of
professional responsibility, or some new draconian set of rules. I will offer
you a path, a way into the light.......

Our program adopted a new policy this Fall--Debaters  have to were business
casual at tournaments and have to respect their opponents, even if it means
losing a round. Wow! Incredible! I know. Its really cutting edge and
revolutionary. We had a discussion on our team and asked, which is more
important--the long term viability of our program or the need for a few
f--tards to express themselves in any way they please? We concluded that the
life of our program is more important than some individuals personal advocacy
or "project."

In nutshell for the slow of thought, Directos of Programs can easily rein in
their debaters. We really can prevent the inmates from running the asylum. All
you have to do is say: "Look, this  S---- could result in our program or
another program getting cut; so, folks, try to contain yourselves. Grow up.
There really is no such thing as absolute freedom when Administrators write the
program's checks. What I have been telling you about 'argumentative space and
freedom' is nice, but it really is an illusion. Run, genocide is good, but do
it with a smile and in Khakis."

Sorry to pee on your parade.

Scott Elliott