[eDebate] this time with invite

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Sun Oct 5 19:50:13 CDT 2008

Baltimore College Debate
Frederick Douglass Debates
Towson University
November 1-2

Dear Debate Community:

We are excited to invite you to the Third Annual Frederick Douglass Debates
November 1st and 2nd at Towson University.

We will offer 5 rounds of competition in a combined JV/Varsity Division with
a (partial) octa-final for all teams who win 3 debates.

We will offer two one day three round novice tournaments to encourage local
participation. If no one is interested in taking  up this format we will
discuss with participants whether to go forward with a 5 round tournament
breaking to appropriate out-rounds.

Our goal is to offer high quality competition in prelims and out rounds in a
humane and safe way, as our tournaments have grown we have been hard pressed
to clear the appropriate number of teams and finish out rounds at an hour
that allows everyone to get home safely. If you have questions please feel
free to contact me.

Andy Ellis
Managing Director
Youth Organizing Urban Revitalization Systems

822 W. 36th Street Baltimore MD 21211
(p)240-285-0843
andy at bmoreyours.org

*ELIGIBILITY & EXPECTATIONS:* The tournament is open to any two-person team
of undergraduate students. Teams in all divisions will be expected to engage
in switch-sides debating. Debaters without partners (mavericks) will be
paired up with other debaters with out a partner and will only be allowed to
compete without a partner at the discretion of the tournament director .
Towson may enter teams and those teams can clear in all divisions. Hybrid
teams will be accepted. Novice & JV debaters should meet the CEDA standards
for novice eligibility. Varsity is open to any competitor.

*ENTRIES & FEES:* Please enter via debate
results<http://www.debateresults.com/>.You
will receive a confirmation. Entry fees are a special rate of  $25 per team
at the tournament. Teams who have purchased a membership can use the credits
that come with membership to cover entry fees.

*FORMAT:* All divisions will have 6 preliminary rounds; advancement to
elimination rounds will be based on (1) win-loss record, (2) strength of
opposition (3) adjusted speaker points, and (4) total speaker points,.
Speaker points may be given in .5 increments.The first two rounds will be
pre-set. Round 3 will be paired off  of round 1 and round 4 & 5 will be
paired off of rounds 1-3.Round 6 will be paired off of 1-4 . Time limits
will be 9-3-6 with 10 minutes prep time. Elimination round sides will be
determined based on (1) reversing sides from a prelim meeting, (2)
individual coin flips.
In the Combined JV/Varsity Division Rounds 1 and 2  will be paired within
division to the best of our ability.
The tournament will use the CEDA Resolution: *Resolved: that the United
States Federal Government should substantially reduce its agricultural
support, at least eliminating nearly all of the domestic subsidies, for
biofuels, Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations, corn, cotton, dairy,
fisheries, rice, soybeans, sugar and/or wheat.*

The tab room will be open and public, coaches,judges and teams are
encouraged to watch and participate in the process. The tournament will seek
ADA certification and abide by ADA rules.

*JUDGES:* One judge is required to cover every two teams. One judge covering
one team is responsible for 3 rounds. All judges are committed to one round
past their teams' elimination.
A very limited number of judges may be available for hire through the
tournament at $150 per uncovered team. Contact us early if you need help
finding judges. Judges should meet the standards of the sanctioning
organizations.

*HOTELS:* We provide two primary Hotel options.
*The La Quinta Inn<http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ2044&propId=2044&savedSearchQuery=/lq/proxySearchRes.do?availability.palsra_RPC1=&availability.palsra_OTD_Y=2008&searchRadius=30&availability.palsra_NRM=1&availability.palsra_IND_Y=2008&availability.palsra_IND_M=08&mapProvider=MapQuest&searchType=GEO&availability.palsra_OTD_M=08&availability.palsra_OTD_D=22&availability.palsra_IND_D=21&promocorp=&searchCity=Baltimore&searchState=MD&lat=39.29028&lon=-76.6125>
*(Tournament Hotel)
on Philadelphia Ct is 15 Minutes from the tournament convenient access to
interstates, food and shopping. We have a rate of $99 a night that includes
breakfast each morning and free wireless in all rooms. We encourage you to
become a member of the La Quinta rewards
program<http://baltimorecollegedebate.org/vendors.html>,
if you use the rewards program your rate over time will decrease by a
noticeable amount as the free rooms kick in. Contact the la quinta at 410
574 8100 the block is under Baltimore College Debate.

*Comfort Inn<http://www.comfortinn.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=MD175&sid=KIvQM.lBq5mg9l$g.6&sarea=10921&sname=Towson&sstate=MD&scountry=US&sradius=40.22&slat=39.401390075683594&slon=-76.60221862792969&schain=C&exp=&scity=Towson&sort=&type=&map=n&city_code=BWI>
* $79/night, ask for the Towson U Rate.
8801 Loch Raven Blvd, Towson MD, 21286|410-882-0900
While the Comfort Inn is not the tournament hotel it is convenient and many
people choose to stay there. If you stay there frequently we encourage you
to join the Comfort Inn rewards
program.<http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/ChoicePrivileges?cp_country=&sid=9V4CM.Uqq5mgR23i.4>

If you have questions about hotels please feel free to contact me at
240-285-0843

*TRAVEL:* Towson is easily accessible from the I-95 corridor to the north
and south and from the I-70 corridor to the west. Towson is 100 miles from
Philly, 70 miles from Harrisburg  80 miles from Hagerstown, 60 miles from
DC, 70 miles from Wilmington Delaware and less then 50 miles from Bowie and
Annapolis.

*PARKING:*  Parking is free on weekends as long as it is marked as such, we
will post parking maps on edebate and closer to the tournament.

*FOOD:*  We will provide snacks, coffee and water throughout the day. Light
breakfast and lunch will be provided on Saturday and Sunday. Please let us
know any dietary restrictions in advance.
*
Schedule:*
*Saturday 11/1*
9:00-9:45 Registration