[eDebate] Intl Debate Academy November 2008

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Mon Oct 6 10:55:51 CDT 2008

RESERVE YOUR PLACE NOW! THE BEST WAY TO LEARN ABOUT WUDC/BP FORMAT!

See website at http://debate.uvm.edu/idas.html
See news about curriculum and faculty at
http://internationaldebateacademy.blogspot.com/

THE SIXTH INTERNATIONAL DEBATE ACADEMY SLOVENIA

THE BEST IN WUDC/BP DEBATE INSTRUCTION
23-30 NOVEMBER 2008

MANY WAYS TO PARTICIPATE:

Full program for students ? instruction, tournament
Tournament for students ? tournament in Maribor.
Full program for trainers, teachers, coaches, club leaders, judges at
any level in any debate format

SPECIFIC DATES:

Arrive in Ormoz, Slovenia November 23 2008
Instruction in Ormoz November 24-28 2008
Transfer to Maribor afternoon 28 November 2008
Tournament in Maribor evening 28-30 November 2008

APPLICATION FORMS AT THE WEBSITE

Organized by:
ZIP ? Za in proti (ZIP), Pro et Contra, Institute for the Culture of
Dialogue, Slovenia
WDI ? World Debate Institute, University of Vermont, USA

FACULTY

Loke Wing Fatt, Singapore: Well known Asian debate trainer, WUDC
breaking judge, honorary professorship North-Eastern University China,
SAID Singapore, 4th IDAS.

Jens Fischer, Germany: Berlin Debating Union, Chief Adjudicator at
Europeans, 3rd IDAS.

Sam Greenland, UK/Hong Kong/Australia: WUDC semifinalist for Sydney,
Hong Kong world schools coach, 3rd IDAS.

Steve Llano, USA: Professor at St. John?s University NY, NE USA Director
of the Year, USA National Champion coach, 3rd IDAS.

Branka Marusic, Croatia: President Europeans Council, IDAS Finalist, 2nd
IDAS.

Rhydian Morgan, UK: Chief Adjudicator and Finals judge at numerous
tournaments, Welsh Debating Federation, World Debate Institute faculty
2008, 2nd IDAS.

Debbie Newman, UK: Past president of Cambridge Union, England & Wales
National Champion, former Director of Centre for Speech & Debate at
English-Speaking Union, England World Schools coach now WORLD CHAMPION
COACH AFTER WINNING WSDC 2008 FOR ENGLAND.

Alfred Snider, USA: Professor at University of Vermont, Director World
Debate Institute, USA Coach of the Year, six recent debate textbooks,
6th IDAS.

Bojana Skrt, Slovenia: Director ZIP, twice WSDC EFL Champion coach, 6th
IDAS.

Curriculum:
Students: Each Instruction day features a main lecture, exercise and
drill sessions, and two complete critiqued practice debates. Many
elective classes offered. Many training preparation sessions offered.
Judge evaluation and training offered.
Trainers: Special track created based on the needs of attending
trainers. All welcome.

Tournament:
Sponsored by IDAS, ZIP and hosted by Debate Club University of Maribor
Faculty of Law. Six preliminary rounds and semifinals in the WUDC
format. No team caps as of now. Faculty will serve as adjudication core
and administration for the tournament.

Accommodations:
Rooms and full meals provided in Ormoz and Maribor. Social activities
organized each evening.

Fees:
Includes all meals, double rooms, instructional materials,
transportation from Ormoz to Maribor, and social activities.
200 Euros for full program, 50 Euros for tournament.

Scholarships:
We hope to offer substantial scholarships to needy applicants.
Scholarship forms are now available at the website!

Financial Disclosure: IDAS is a non-profit program, trainers are not
paid, trainer travel is not reimbursed, participation fees pay for
attendee expenses of rooms and food only, trainers accommodations and
food and other costs are covered by ZIP.

Social Events : We will have frequent social events. We will not
distribute free alcohol to 18+ attendees out of the workshop fees. We
will seek soft drinks-beer-wine sponsors. We prioritize scholarships for
attendees over free alcohol. We want as many people as possible to join
the fun.

Questions?
Bojana Skrt, bojana.skrt at siol.net

Organizing committee:
Director of the Academy: Bojana Skrt, ZIP, bojana.skrt at siol.net
Head of Training: Alfred C. Snider, World Debate Institute, University
of Vermont, alfred.snider at uvm.edu
Tournament Host, Zlata Subinski
Assistant Director, Peter Mesarec
Social Director, Helena Felc