[eDebate] TX debate Honors status update

rrach at juno.com rrach
Mon Oct 6 12:07:29 CDT 2008

Today is the last day to submit testimony:
>Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am forwarding a message I sent the coaches at Bellaire about the proposed rule that would standardize GPA calculation at public high schools.  That rule would eliminate any GPA augmentation for Debate, Oral Interp, Independent Study in Speech or other speech courses.  It also would eliminate counting any Fine Arts or Career and Technology courses in the GPA calculation.  Pre-AP courses also not be eligible to offer any GPA boost and would count the same as regular classes.

While the public comment period is listed as ending 30 days after September 5, which would have been this past Saturday, October 4, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Texas law says if a calculated deadline falls on a weekend it is extended to the next business day.  So, I believe the comment deadline is Monday, October 6, 2008.  If you can please take the time to drop a quick note to the THECB registering your opposition to the proposed GPA rule it would be appreciated.  Comments should be addressed to Natalie Coffey, Senior Program Director, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, P.O Box 12788, Austin, Texas 78711. Ms. Coffey's e-mail address is natalie.coffey at thecb.state.tx.us. The names and contact information for members of the Board can be found at this link:  http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/Board/.

Sincerely,

Martin Klein
Director of Forensics
Deer Park High School
Deer Park, Texas

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Martin Klein <deerparkdebate at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 8:18 AM
Subject: GPA Rule: Update
To: Russell Rach <rrach at juno.com>, Jay Stubbs <bellairedebate at sbcglobal.net>

Dear Russell & Jay: Attached is the proposed GPA rule as published in the Texas Register. This is the official text.  According to the proposed rule, public comments must be submitted within 30 days of publication of the rule.  Since the rule was published Sept. 5, the comment period expires this coming Monday, Oct. 6. My union e-mailed me a bulletin about the new rule.  Click here to read it:  http://www.tcta.org/politics_government/NewGPARules.htm The Education Week article made it sound as if all elective courses would be excluded from calculation of the GPA.  The text of the rule makes clear that is not the case, as all courses that have TEKS count in the calculation of GPA.  However, it eliminates any honors augmentation of GPA except for AP, IB and dual credit courses. Thanks. Martin
Click now to find the best computer mouse for your needs!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3nqEK5wSYkHgbXVItHTJwkXjtwW3cVcinDDoFQMxEUMPZF0k/