[eDebate] UNI seeking Debate GTAs for Fall 2009

Katherine Lavelle lenehan20
Mon Oct 20 10:18:34 CDT 2008

The University of Northern Iowa Forensics Team is looking for M.A. students. We will have one debate position, for Fall 2009. We compete in NDT/CEDA policy debate. The UNI forensics team enjoys broad departmental support, allowing students to develop their coaching, teaching, and scholarly skills. The Communication Studies Masters program typically has 40-50 active students, including forensics GTAs. As a GTA, you would have many opportunities to work with students, travel, and help run tournaments, all while earning a M.A. in a two-year program.

Our Department of Communication Studies offers an array of specialties: Communication Education, General Communication, Mass Communication, Organizational Communication, Organizational Communication-Human Resources, Performance Studies, and Public Relations. The department is particularly strong in feminist theory and gender studies, media studies, and performance studies. Nationally recognized scholars in visual rhetoric, pedagogy, and theatre of the oppressed, and feminist theory are available for students to work with.

There are 22 graduate faculty members, and because the M.A. is the terminal degree in the department, you would have the opportunity to work closely with these professors. Many forensic GTAs leave the program with publications because of the support of faculty. The department includes many former coaches and competitors, as well as the Director of the National Debate Tournament, Dr. John Fritch, who is our Department Chair.

As a UNI Forensics GTA, you would receive a full tuition waiver, plus a competitive stipend, as well as having teaching opportunities. The Cedar Falls/Waterloo area is a great collegiate environment, with offerings in culture, athletics, and outdoor activities, as well as an affordable place to live.

Recent UNI M.A. graduates have been quite successful. Several graduates are in collegiate coaching positions and Ph.D. programs. If you are interested in learning more about our program, feel free to contact me, Dr. Katherine Lavelle, Director of Forensics at Katherine.lavelle at uni.edu or at my office phone, 319-273-7200. I will be at the Wayne State Motor City Classic, as well as the Badger Memorial Tournament this semester; it would be a pleasure to meet with you in person. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Two of our directors, Ms. Rebecca Buel and Ms. Kelsey Harr, are also excellent resources. They are recent graduates of our M.A. program.

We also have information on our departmental website about our graduate program, which you can access at www.chfa.uni.edu/comstudy/graduate/Katherine L. Lavelle Director of ForensicsUniversity of Northern Iowa You must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Don't be resigned to that. Break out! ? Mr. Keating, Tom Schulman Dead Poets Society

When your life is on the go?take your life with you. Try Windows Mobile? today
When your life is on the go?take your life with you.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298558/direct/01/