[eDebate] some comments re tournament rounds structure

Ross Smith smithr
Wed Oct 22 21:38:56 CDT 2008

The following are not meant to be exhaustive of the subject, but merit
consideration.

1) Debates now take 33% more time to conduct than they did when the
8-round format was popularized (they have 33% more valuable content if
you think pre-round prep, judge decisions that include careful
inspection of evidence, and post-round discussion of the decision are of
educational value), yet going from 6 to 8 prelims subtracts only 25%.
Or, going from 5 to 8 adds 33%. 6 prelims now is what 8 used to be.

2) Stefan: let's just stop the tournament after semis since finals makes
next to no difference to the Copeland?

3) Banquets are rare, but they matter. Our activity lacks good social
time, good celebratory time. We honor a national coach of the year. That
ceremony is meaningful, and not just for the person who wins it. The
words spoken in praise resound and reflect on the efforts of all
coaches. The words inspire and celebrate. "Just words"??

4) Audiences matter. Most of us learned a lot from watching elims we
were not good enough to be in. Excessive prelim schedules and late night
elim rounds result in tiny elim audiences. Stefan says only 7 people
participate in the final round. That does not sound good to me. I
envision big audiences for doubles in classrooms that are well suited to
debate (as opposed to early morning cramped hotel rooms with a few
people watching, half of whom fall asleep in the neg block). I envision
relatively well rested people watching the Monday elims all of which
have known starting times.

5) High quality elims matter. Especially when there is an audience. It
helps the audience learn more, and helps the competitors. The final
round should be the best round in the tournament. If not, why do we even
use elims to determine the winner? S

6) We will have at least 40 teams in elims, 30% or so of the tournament.

7) There really seem to be two leaders as alts: this year's Shirley of
6/doubles and the alt of 8/octas. The 8/octas was rejected
overwhelmingly by the community at Ga. State and at Kentucky not so long
ago: people clamorred for an extra elim round and all but forced it on
those tournaments. Maybe folks are ready to rethink that. Good for us.
Let's think. 7 rounds has problems of scheduling with a banquet and
severe unfairness in side assignment.

8) Surprised no one has commented on the rules regarding elim judge
decision time and post-round discussion time.

9) Total quality of the experience is not solely a function of the
quantity of debates you are in.

10) Judges and coaches matter. A lot. What do we ask of them? What is a
fair demand?

--
Ross K. Smith
Director of Debate