[eDebate] Mardi Gras Policy Tournament Invite

Mon Oct 27 11:48:11 CDT 2008

Dear Colleagues:

The University of Louisiana-Lafayette Debate Program invites you to attend the
Mardi Gras Policy Debate Tournament on February 20 through 23, 2009. Our intent
is to offer some Ragin? Cajun hospitality and some good competition. We have the
tournament scheduled to encourage participation in Mardi Gras festivities. We
also suggest that you stay over Monday night in order to celebrate Fat Tuesday
with us either in Lafayette or New Orleans.

A Humane Schedule

We do not believe that tournament have to be death marches to victory. When
possible, tournaments should strive to be more humane toward participants; and,
more importantly, to coaches. Friday February 20th will be registration. We
encourage you to register early enough so that you may then attend the Friday
night parade. Saturday has three rounds beginning at 9:00 a.m. We will strictly
enforce start times with forfeit rules. Our goal is to have you out in time to
watch the Bonaparte parade. Sunday rounds also begin at 9:00 a.m. and we hope
to end before 5:00 p.m. Monday elimination rounds begin at 10:00 a.m.

The CAFO?s support barbecue

Some schools have decided to agree with all of those teams running CAFOs
affirmatives this year (e.g. Harvard). We need healthy balance within the
debate community on the CAFOs issue. Sunday afternoon or evening, we will offer
a Cajun barbecue during the tournament. This will include jambalaya (with
chicken and pork sausage); sausage poboys, beef poboys, and ? pound hamburgers.
For vegans, we will have dirty rice
wait that has chicken livers in it. We will
have okra gumbo
no, that has crab, sausage or chicken. Collard greens
no, that
has fatback in it. Red beans and rice
.no, we put sausage in ours. Anyway, for
you vegans, we will boil some white rice and point you to the Taco Bell across
from campus. (Actually, we will come up with some virgin veggies if there is
enough of a demand.)

Parades in Lafayette

The schedule allows individuals time to attend the Lafayette Mardi Gras parades.
The Friday night parade begins at 6:30 p.m. The Saturday night Parade of
Bonaparte begins at 6:30 p.m. Given that the parade route runs right by campus,
persons attending the tournament will merely have to walk fifty yards from their
last debate round on Saturday to secure a prime bead catching location. There
are no parades in Lafayette on Sunday night. However, there are plenty of
festivities throughout Lafayette to celebrate. Monday?s Queen of Evangeline
Parade begins at 6:00 p.m. Mardi Gras really is a Louisiana official holiday
and, yes, we really do get four days off from school to celebrate. (When we
lived in Texas, my wife was appalled to find out that other states did not
recognize this holiday; another affront to Cajun culture).

We look forward to seeing you this February.

Scott M. Elliott, Ph.D. J.D.
Asst. Prof. and Dir. of Debate, UL-Lafayette
Sme2607 at louisiana.edu
Office: 337-482-6090
Cell 337-849-7487

Tournament Information:

Entry Fees:

$80.00 per team. $10.00 per person other than debate teams.

The fees will be used to cover the cost of the barbecue, awards, coffee and king
cake, and tournament administration costs.

Judging

Teams will only be allowed to enter if they have judging to cover them. As a new
program we do not have the alumni to hire as extra judges. Please bring judges
to cover your commitment.

Awards

Some of the old guard may remember the unique awards from the Southeastern
Louisiana University Mardi Gras Tournament. We hope to provide the same type of
awards, but with a Cajun flare. The Mardi Gras masks may come back. But we are
also looking into some support from the Tabasco company and local artist,
George Rodrigue (Blue Dog).

Hotel

The Tournament Hotel is the Hotel Acadiana, 1801 W. Pinhook Rd., Lafayette LA
70508. Ph. 337-233-8120. This will be a Crowne Plaza Hotel by February, 2009.
The Hotel Block Rate $109.00 per night. We have 40 rooms blocked. But the rate
will apply to rooms registered under our block code until they run out of
availability. The block rate is under ?UL Speech and Debate.?  The tournament
hotel is only 10 minutes from Campus.

There are other hotels in the Lafayette. However, this is Mardi Gras in the
heart of Cajun country. Rooms tend to fill up quickly and prices will seldom go
below $90.00 per night.

Directions, location, airports

Lafayette, Louisiana is at located at the junction of Interstate 10 and
Interstate 49. The Lafayette Regional Airport is literally 10 minutes from
campus and less than ten minutes from the tournament hotel. We are 45 minutes
from Baton Rouge. We are two hours from the New Orleans airport. We are four
hours from Houston and approximately eight hours from Dallas.

Tournament Schedule

University of Louisiana-Lafayette Mardi Gras Policy Tournament Tentative
Schedule.

Friday  February 20, 2009
Registration. Tournament Hotel.   5:00-8:00 p.m
Lafayette Mardi Gras parade from 6:30-9:00
Pairings for Rds. 1 and 2 released at Hotel and on edebate (as soon as possible
after registration.

Saturday Feb. 21
9:00 a.m.  		King Cake, coffee. Round 1.
11:00 a.m. 	            Round 2.
Lunch break following Round 2.
2:30 p.m.	(or earlier) Pairings for Rd. 3 released.
3:00 p.m.   	Round  3.

Sunday Feb. 22
8:00 a.m.		Round 4 pairings released. Hotel and
edebate.
9:00 a.m.	King Cake, Coffee. Round 4.
11:30 a.m.	Round 5
Lunch Break following Rd. 5 (Depending on the University, we will have the
barbecue either for lunch after round 5; or a barbecue off campus for dinner;
after round 6)
3:00 p.m.	Round 6
Breaks Posted

Monday Feb. 23