[eDebate] Bad publicity for policy debate

Steinberg, David L dave
Wed Oct 1 13:27:03 CDT 2008

I begin debating in 1972, and heard then that academic debate would soon come to an end.  Speed reading, the quantity of work required, sloppy kids wearing jeans and T Shirts!  (... the legacy of radical types like Tuna.....)

When I look at tournament entries on Debate Results for this fall, I see vibrant regional debate, some massive national tournaments, lots of 2 and 3 division tournaments, returning schools and new schools.  Keep in mind the competition from other leagues and activities, and the increased cost of travel, tightening institutional budgets, and other support costs.

When I put out the word about our debate team on my campus, I have more interested students than we can teach and coach.  It seems to me there is support for debate.

My colleagues and bosses appreciate the issues we are dealing with, and upon viewing the Chronicle's article and video, were offended by the profanity (I was too), but understood or did not object to the rest.  And, they are impressed that we have an organizational structure to address positive change.

Yes, we need to step up our level of professionalism, and attention to conduct.  We are doing that.  We need to examine and assess our curriculum.  We are doing that.  Yes, we should work to educate others about the positive impacts of debate and promote it on our campuses and in our communities, developing our programs publicly in consistent harmony with the strategic plans and missions of our institutions.  I think most of us have been doing that: of course, we can do better.  And should do more.

I am proud of my association with this community of dedicated, brilliant and often eccentric thinkers.  Would we rather be creating a society of Sarah Palins? (sorry, Brett!)  I do not fear for the future of policy debate.

dave

David L. Steinberg
Director of Debate, University of Miami
P.O. Box 248127