[eDebate] 6 v. 8 rounds

Kuswa, Kevin kkuswa
Wed Oct 22 14:58:14 CDT 2008

I sent a note to Ross about this when edebate was down.

We strongly support 8 rounds because our teams usually are done debating after prelims. 25% MORE DEBATES OUTWEIGHS just about any other argument being made from our perspective.

Ross replied right away to me with the response that this is just an experiment for one year and that Wake believes it is important to have enough time between out-round debates and not finish the tournament at the crack of dawn on tuesday.

We LOVE the Wake tournament and are willing to try the experiment (we'd try just about anything Wake suggests...) but hopefully there will be a discussion of the merits and das afterward.

I really think they will go back to 8 prelims after this year--even if it means clearing to octos and requiring a 6-2 with points to clear.

kevin

________________________________

From: edebate-bounces at ndtceda.com on behalf of Josh
Sent: Wed 10/22/2008 3:53 PM
To: William J Repko
Cc: edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: Re: [eDebate] Two new threads

Ok,

1. While 6 rounds creates a much more humane tournament schedule:

a) I want my debaters to get the most possible rounds per tournament attended because at current costs and in the current economic state we will all likely go to less total tournaments.

b) I worry that less rounds makes it harder for teams on the bubble to break

2. How strong should strike cards be:

You will have to explain what you mean by this more.....it could mean many things.

Josh