[eDebate] [CEDA-L] Tournament Structure

Stefan Bauschard stefan.bauschard
Thu Oct 23 10:14:53 CDT 2008

The common reaction to releasing pairings for any day the day before  is
that "people will stay up all night."  This was the initial primary reaction
that I got when I continually pushed people on releasing the elim pairings
Sunday night (a practice that had long been common at national high school
tournaments run by high schools).

These are my arguments:

1) It is more difficult and more time consuming to prepare for many
potential elim debates than it is to prepare for 1 elim debate and your
projected elim bracket.  If find myself getting more sleep since this
practice has become more common - -you can make sure your bases are covered
for the first elim, think about what can wait until sides are determined,
figure out who from your program may or may not be judging or debating so
that daylight hours can be used productively, prioritize getting cards cut
during the day on Monday if you expect/realistically hope to be around for
awhile.
2) Releasing the bracket helps teams with a limited number of coaches who
cannot practically make sure the team is prepared for multiple potential
debates in the morning.
3) People already stay up as late as they possibly can.
4) A lot of coaches waste a lot of time trying to figure out the bracket and
some are better at it than others.  This puts everyone on the same playing
field.

I had never really thought of releasing rounds 5 & 6 before because I
thought it was nice to have one night "off," but when I saw people working
so hard at Harvard last year on Saturday night, it made me think that they
were probably preparing for many debates they wouldn't have that weekend (or
at least Sunday am), and that if I had simply given them the pairing at 10am
they may have gone to sleep by 1am.

--
Stefan Bauschard

President & Co-Founder, PlanetDebate.com
Director of Debate, Lakeland Schools
Debate Coach, Harvard Debate

(c) 781-775-0433
(fx) 617-588-0283