[eDebate] Framing the conversation - Mananging time at tournaments

Stefan Bauschard stefan.bauschard
Thu Oct 23 11:31:31 CDT 2008

In a way, debating (including preparing, coaching, judging, deciding,
explaining, listening) for 20+ hours a day for three days on the weekend
seems odd.

However, consider for a minute the entire amount of time devoted to
preparing for debates for the entire season.  Imagine a debater or coach
that puts in 500 hours of preparation over the season (some obviously put in
a lot more and some less).  When does such preparation occur? It occurs late
at night after a full-day of class or work. It occurs in downtime between
classes and late at night. It occurs on "free weekends."  It occurs after
the kids go to bed and you've finished your day job. Basically, being
involved in debate requires most to sustain incredibly long days many days
of the week through at least 7 months of the year.

I think this has a few implications:

1) To many, most tournament days aren't that much longer than many days.
Think of how many debaters have left the debate office at 3am.  This is less
"abnormal" than it may appear.
2) People have a hard-time "recovering" after the tournament not just
because the tournament is long but because they have struggled all week to
prepare for the tournament.  This is probably why they get sick as much as
anything else. Many people simply put (almost) everything they have into
preparing for a given tournament, so when it is over they are wiped-out.
3) When there are fewer debates, people are involved in more preparation/per
debate -- less stuff gets used.  Some of the more emphatic cases for 8 are
made by a younger generation -- maybe they just want to debate as much as
they can given how much time they have invested in preparation.
4) When people put so much into preparing, it is not surprising that they
also invest so much time in judging and explaining decisions.  In a debate
where you take a long time to decide, I think it is natural for you to want
to talk about the details of your evaluation with the debaters.  If you are
a debater who cut 1K cards before a tournament, is is natural for you to
want the judge to carefully consider them.

I'm trying to take sides in 6 v. 8, but only pointing out that the tiresome
nature of tournaments is not that removed from the tiresome nature of the
activity -- it is simply consistent with it.  Even starting in HS, we have
lab for 12-14 hours a day.  It's not that big of a jump for a day of a major
national tournament to be 20 hours.

--
Stefan Bauschard

President & Co-Founder, PlanetDebate.com
Director of Debate, Lakeland Schools
Debate Coach, Harvard Debate

(c) 781-775-0433
(fx) 617-588-0283