[eDebate] lacy and obama group think tactics

Duane Hyland privethedge
Fri Oct 24 07:11:58 CDT 2008

HI, Whoa......."...the vast majority of edebaters defended Bush......" Are you insane? There was exactly one person on edebate defending Bush back then, and that was me - and I was pilloried for it. And, I won't even defend Bush anymore (why I voted for Kerry in 2004) because the guy is the blithering moron everyone on this list told me he was - it just took me a bit to reach that conclusion....So, don't overstate the record - there wasn't a vast amount of anyone defending Bush.

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that person that he, if he had the power, would be in silencing mankind? If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth; if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by??its collision with error." John S. Mill
?Who said Dr. Who isn't Funny: "Rose: You Didn't Have to Kill him! Dalek: "Neither did we need him to live."
Dalek to Cyberman: :"You are Superior to us in one respect." Cyberman: "What is that?" Dalek: "Dying!"

--- On Fri, 10/24/08, JP Lacy <lacyjp at wfu.edu> wrote:

From: JP Lacy <lacyjp at wfu.edu>
Subject: Re: [eDebate] lacy and obama group think tactics
To: "Old Strega" <oldstrega at hotmail.com>
Cc: edebate at ndtceda.com
Date: Friday, October 24, 2008, 1:58 AM

I guess I'm a "pragmatist."

Even if abortion is the only difference, to me its one worth supporting
Obama. (And...a good reason for Pro-Life people to support McCain.)

Given no realistic alternative, I'd rather have a liberal orwellian than
a socially conservative orwellian.

What type of candidate could you support?

Old Strega wrote:
> i'm not voting for mccain.
>
> i simply called for mccain campaign and other right wing advocates to
introduce obama's birth certificate into the national discussion.   the
blackout is hideous.

> i'm not voting.   the presidential candidates are nearly identical
except abortion.  the neoconservatives have captured both parties.  obama is
republican lite supporting WAR in afghanistan, TAX CUTS for the middle class and
RELIGION via faith based iniatives.

> the democrats haven't truly won an election in 28 years given ross
perot handed clinton his victory.    so the democrats decided to copy the three
pillars of neoconservative philososphy with a half-black candidate and bring the
anti-clinton social movements of the late 90's back into the fold of
mainstream politics.

> sorry but faith based iniatitives are a gross continuation of bush and
FISA makes obama a joke.    if you "believe" in obama it doesn't
matter how much he votes for bush surveillance or copies his neocon pillars,
because obama = god and there's no need to question all of the similarities
to bush.

> that's some of what i mean by a "liberal version of the orwellian
nightmare".   obama is an opportunist who knows the country is ready to
switch parties but at the same time he's ready to capitalize on enhanced
presidential powers of the previous administration, i.e. the vote for FISA.

> 8 years ago, i predicted that George W. Bush would reach the lowest
approval ratings in history beating Richard Nixon.    i was proven right over
time even though the vast majority of edebaters defended bush and doubted bush
would beat nixon for worst approval ratings.   i said W = WORST president ever.
but i get no credit from amnesiacs who just want to run tournaments.    in the
tradition of mort sahl, i will attack all presidential candidates.     obama is
not the answer to bush.    the birth certificate, the FISA vote, and faith-based
iniatitives are all signs that we are on the brink of an even more sinister,
liberal version of the orwellian nightmare because moveon.org and the remnants
of the anti-clintonistas have been absorbed into the mainstream of party
politics.