[eDebate] Berg case thrown out and more

Nicholas A. Thomas pinkballoon
Sat Oct 25 13:16:40 CDT 2008

Update--the case has been thrown out:
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20081025_Judge_rejects_Montco_lawyer_s_bid_to_have_Obama_removed_from_ballot.html

Also notice the nice touch from the bottom of the story: "Further, a birth
announcement in the Aug. 13, 1961, Honolulu Advertiser listed Obama's birth
there on Aug. 4."

Judge rejects Montco lawyer's bid to have Obama removed from ballot

By MICHAEL HINKELMAN
Philadelphia Daily News
hinkelm at phillynews.com 215-854-2656

A federal judge in Philadelphia last night threw out a complaint by a
Montgomery County lawyer who claimed that Democratic presidential candidate
Barack Obama was not qualified to be president and that his name should be
removed from the Nov. 4 ballot.

Philip J. Berg alleged in a complaint filed in federal district court on
Aug. 21 against Obama, the Democratic National Committee and the Federal
Election Commission, that Obama was born in Mombasa, Kenya.

Berg claimed that the Democratic presidential standardbearer is not even an
American citizen but a citizen of Indonesia and therefore ineligible to be
president.

He alleged that if Obama was permitted to run for president and subsequently
found to be ineligible, he and other voters would be disenfranchised.

U.S. District Judge R. Barclay Surrick had denied Berg's request for a
temporary restraining order on Aug. 22 but had not ruled on the merits of
the suit until yesterday.

Obama and the Democratic National Committee had asked Surrick to dismiss
Berg's complaint in a court filing on Sept. 24.

They said that Berg's claims were "ridiculous" and "patently false," that
Berg had "no standing" to challenge the qualifications of a candidate for
president because he had not shown the requisite harm to himself.

Surrick agreed.

In a 34-page memorandum and opinion, the judge said Berg's allegations of
harm were "too vague and too attenuated" to confer standing on him or any
other voters.

Surrick ruled that Berg's attempts to use certain laws to gain standing to
pursue his claim that Obama was not a natural-born citizen were "frivolous
and not worthy of discussion."

The judge also said the harm Berg alleged did "not constitute an injury in
fact" and Berg's arguments to the contrary "ventured into the unreasonable."

For example, Berg had claimed that Obama's nomination deprived citizens of
voting for Sen. Hillary Clinton in November. (Berg backed Clinton in the
primaries.)

Berg could not be reached for comment last night.

Obama was born in Honolulu on Aug. 4, 1961, and the campaign posted a
document issued by Hawaii on its Web site, fight thesmears.com, confirming
his birth there.

Berg said in court papers that the image was a forgery.

The nonpartisan Web site FactCheck.org examined the original document and
said it was legitimate.

Further, a birth announcement in the Aug. 13, 1961, Honolulu Advertiser
listed Obama's birth there on Aug. 4. *

As for Phillip J. Berg, he has the backing of Astrology!
http://www.popmodal.com/video/114/Phillip-J-Berg-Lawsuit-Against-Obama-Astrology
[Berg] sure had luck and the \"gods on his side. It was filed during an
Ashwini nakshatra and a Vriddhi Yoga. Now the scriptures tell us that any
activity begun on Aswini will lead to victory. \"The Yoga is Vriddhi
(Growth) -- intelligent, opportunistic and discerning; life constantly
improves with age.\"

But that's mere "ad hominem" humor.  More seriously:

1.) Berg is a former H. Clinton supporter (mere coincidence--she can't
control all her followers), who once called for Obama to withdraw his
candidacy because of his association with Rev. Wright (I guess being a
natural-born citizen didn't bother him back then):
http://www.diatribune.com/blog/philip-j-berg-esq

2.) In 2001, Berg asked that Justices O'Connor, Scalia, and Thomas (why
those three?) be disbarred for their decisions in Bush v. Gore:
http://archive.democrats.com/view.cfm?id=5348

3.) In 2007, Berg filed a RICO lawsuit against President Bush and VP Cheney
for 9-11 crimes (no, not POST-9-11 crimes, but for 9-11 crimes).  He even
wrote to other nations asking that they help in the arrests (obviously the
DOJ wasn't going to help out):
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0701/S00076.htm

Also, last April, just to be polite or sporting I guess, Senators McCaskill,
Obama, and Clinton, among others, passed a resolution stating in no
uncertain terms that John McCain III was eligible to run for the Presidency.
Awfully considerate of them:
http://www.nextgenerationcorp.com/NextGenBlog/?p=50

Last point, which I sincerely mean as a question.  If Obama were elected and
took office, and *then* it was "proven" that he wasn't a natural-born
citizen, would it not still take an impeachment to remove him from office?
No other legal mechanism exists, right?  Courts wouldn't just "nullify" the
election--they'd follow the constitutional procedure for removing a
President from office, no?  Certainly "fraud" about one's nationality would
constitute a "high crime or misdemeanor," but that's still different from
Congress having the political will (and the citizens giving the right poll
numbers) to go through with impeachment.  If it violated a constitutional
Amendment and not enough of the public or Congress cared, would it matter?
(It certainly hasn't mattered enough over the last 7 years with the 1st,
4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, or 10th Amendments, has it?)

Nicholas A. Thomas, PhD Rhetoric
(formerly Assistant Policy Debate Coach, CSULB)
Department of Communication Arts & Sciences
Pennsylvania State University
nat129 at psu.edu