[eDebate] tuna wrong on free speech

bandana organizer lifer-hat
Sun Oct 26 17:26:44 CDT 2008

If a list is moderated by the same organization hosting it, I think the host can lose "common carrier status", which insulates them against some responsibility for the content of posts. This is why many ISPs will not shut down offensive (or "offensive") websites unless the sites are also engaged in illegal activity.

BTW, I can't find any of Bear's posts to edebate in the official archive from the period around 2000. There are a few responses that quote him, but most of his posts aren't there:

http://www.google.com/search?q=from%3Amwbryant+site%3Andtceda.com

this one only goes back a little while:

http://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=mwbryant&l=edebate%40www.ndtceda.com

gmane only goes back a little while, too:

http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.education.region.usa.edebate