[eDebate] Is edebate still needed?

Duane Hyland privethedge
Mon Oct 27 08:43:37 CDT 2008

There probably is little harm in keepin Edebate up and running, it tends to promote the type of free discussion that a centrally run forum might not be able to permit. If it's a server problem, perhaps something could be worked out - I'd put some money in the hat to keep it afloat.
?
Duane

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that person that he, if he had the power, would be in silencing mankind? If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth; if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by??its collision with error." John S. Mill
?Who said Dr. Who isn't Funny: "Rose: You Didn't Have to Kill him! Dalek: "Neither did we need him to live."
Dalek to Cyberman: :"You are Superior to us in one respect." Cyberman: "What is that?" Dalek: "Dying!"

--- On Sun, 10/26/08, M G <malgorthewarrior at hotmail.com> wrote:

From: M G <malgorthewarrior at hotmail.com>
Subject: [eDebate] Is edebate still needed?
To: edebate at ndtceda.com
Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 8:10 PM

#yiv1523550750 .hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;padding:0px;}
#yiv1523550750 {
FONT-SIZE:10pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;}

Hells yeah it is.

There are past, present, and future organizational leaders in CEDA who hate parts of edebate and would love to ban certain people/content from the list.? That seems to be a real possibility if CEDA is running the electronic show.? Then we have a situation where many members of the community are excluded from discussion over issues that are directed at them.

CEDA should never regulate content of argument, in either a round or an open forum like edebate.? I see CEDA using the fact that they run the new site as an excuse to exclude content they deem inappropriate so they don't catch a bad rap.?

You'd be surprised how quickly people involved in debate will argue to close the "marketplace of ideas" we seem to value to much.?

I would be satisfied with edebate closing down if the CEDA site had little to no regulation on who can post and what they can post.

Store, manage and share up to 5GB with Windows Live SkyDrive. Start uploading now _______________________________________________
eDebate mailing list
eDebate at www.ndtceda.com