[eDebate] [CEDA-L] Novice at CEDA Nationals 2009

Justin Green jmgreen
Tue Oct 28 15:02:44 CDT 2008

I agree it would be beneficial if this would have come up for a vote.  Yes,
the Pres probably does have the power to simply administrate a decision
about the national tournament - but he also has the decision to decide to
put it up for a vote - I ask him and others to simply do that.

As a school who has novice teams - I and much of our coaching staff stand in
opposition to a Novice Break-out

1 - We crown a National Champion for a reason - The focus of CEDA nats is to
represent the best of our activity.  We don't offer a JV division and in the
past there has not been a novice - this is because we want to feature the
best in debate.  KSU novi and JV debaters are instructed to watch, watch,
watch, and learn from the others who have done well.  All of them develop a
little GDS and then we talk about what to steal from speech patterns on the
way home.  This might be one tournament where watching good rounds is more
valuable to novices at the end of the year than debating in them.

2 - JV/Novice Championships already exist - The West Coast, Midwest, and
East Coast all host at least one.  There are a substantial number of schools
who attend the East and West coast tournaments.  I think these tournaments
are uniquely valuable because they make JV and Novice the singular focal
points for the weekend.  If there is any risk that CEDA Nats trades off with
attendance at these, then the CEDA Nats division is not desirable.

3 - Previous Experimental divisions have done harm - When in 2001 KSU won
the "Non Policy National Championship" (8 teams competed), we had a choice:
not tell our administration OR tell our administration that we just won a
pseudo-national championship that shouldn't count as much as the CEDA Nats
we got in 1991 or 1993.  It was confusing and after an initial set of
conversations, we just kept it quiet.

4 - The schools this is targetted to help already are recognized - New-comer
awards are given to those attending for the first time.

5 - It is a poor way to determine a Novice National Champion - the prelim
road at CEDA is not the same for everyone.  Some novices will debate other
novice teams, others will have a much harder draw.  This is why other
schools host a NOVICE ONLY championship division.  We are probably looking
at clearing teams that will go 2-6 and ties broken on points.  It's just a
sloppy way to have it happen.

At least as a caveat - Only judges with teams registered as novice should be
forced to judge elimination rounds in the Novice division.  One can make a
choice whether or not to attend the Kentucky (open only) or the KCKCC
tournament (3 divisions).  When coaches decide to bring their teams to a
tournament with multiple divisions, they should understand their obligations
to potentially judge all three.  Because this decision was not made by the
public and teams do not have an alternate CEDA nats to attend this should
not be placed as a requirement for coaches without novices.  I know just as
many coaches that watch elim debates at CEDA because it represents some of
the finest examples of what debaters should aspire to do.  We also want to
be there to potentially watch "so-and-so's" last speech.

As far as I can tell, others say
- "Novices would get more experience" - there are other better places to
have that happen.  We don't bring everyone on our team to CEDA Nats, just
those who are ready to go and compete.  They might be better off watching
out rounds.
- "Some schools might attend who otherwise would not" - Would those schools
be better off going to multiple JV/Novice Nationals or better off at CEDA
Nats?

Please don't take this as any personal affronts - it is simply a
disagreement about policy.

Justin Green