[eDebate] Novice at CEDA Nats and Josh

Eric Wendell Marlow emarlow
Tue Oct 28 21:48:41 CDT 2008

Jason is right.  And, for the record, I don't think his argument is
elitist.  Teams competing in the "open" division of CEDA nats work hard
all year and the idea that they could potentially have worse critic
preferences in the first elim round seems to be a recipe for tragedy.
We have almost moved past the days when the triples was just a crap
shoot and it would be a shame to move back in that direction.

I love novice debate, too.  I have spent a good deal of my 18 year
college coaching career working with exclusively novice programs.  I do
not think we should privilege our mission of novice inclusion to the
point of sacrificing the quality of our varsity national competition.

Peace,
Marlow