[eDebate] Motor City Classic Invite--October 25-27

Kelly Young kel1773
Thu Sep 4 13:53:40 CDT 2008

Hello all:

The invite is posted on Debateresults.com as well. Took awhile to work out details with the Hyatt. Kelly

August 1, 2008

Dear
Colleague:

   We invite you to join us for the annual
Wayne State University Motor City Debate Tournament in Detroit, Michigan.  This year?s tournament will be held on the
weekend of October 25-27,
 2008. New this year, we will be using the Sheraton Detroit
Riverside Hotel?an amazing hotel?for the fantastic price of $ ____. We look
forward once again to welcoming many of you to our campus.  We promise to do our best to make your visit
to Detroit a pleasant
one. We also hope to offer a highly competitive and diverse field of debate
competition.

    Our tournament is sanctioned for ADA, NDT and CEDA
sweepstakes points and offers competition in three divisions: varsity, junior
varsity, and novice.    We will adhere to
the latest ADA rules, which
can be found at http://www.kings.edu/debate/rules.htm.
Hybrid teams will be allowed to clear. Room and judge availability may affect
the number of teams clearing. Additionally, the tournament also agrees to
comply with the underlying principles of CEDA?s Statement on Sexual Harassment
and Discrimination and the Statement of Ethical Principles.

***PLEASE
NOTE: we follow the ADA?s elimination
debate system of clearing ?no
more than or less than half of the teams competing in the preliminary rounds of
debate? policy, assuming we have the necessary judging and rooms. For some
reason, after several years of doing this, it remains a surprise for some of
our guests.

   The varsity and junior varsity divisions
will offer eight preliminary rounds (4 on Saturday, 4 on Sunday) with all
elimination rounds in these divisions on Monday. The novice division will consist of six preliminary rounds on Saturday
and Sunday with two elimination rounds Sunday afternoon.  Novice debaters are expected to debate both
sides of the topic.  Please refer to the ADA link provided above for ADA novice and junior varsity and varsity eligibility
standards.

   We have a VERY limited number of judges
for hire.  If you need judges, please
contact us immediately, as we cannot guarantee the availability of judges as we
near the tournament weekend. Please, do not assume that we have judges available
for you without first telling us that you need hired judging. We cannot
accommodate 5-6 schools asking for full judges to hire.

   We hope that you will be able to visit us
this fall.  We will try to provide an
enjoyable time for you in Detroit along with
excellent rounds of debate.  Enclosed is
a description of tournament procedures, our schedule, fees and housing.  If you have any questions, please call Kelly
Young at (313) 577- 2953 or email kelly.young at wayne.edu
or Ron Stevenson at (313) 577-2950 or email waynedebate at hotmail.com.

Sincerely,

Kelly
Young, Director of Forensics

Ron
Stevenson, Director of Debate

Jennifer Schraeder, Graduate
Assistant

Noriaki Tajima, Graduate
Assistant

Erika Thomas, Graduate
Assistant

WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY

MOTOR CITY COLLEGE DEBATE
TOURNAMENT

October 25-27, 2008

ENTRIES:                     Schools
may enter as many teams in each division as they wish.  Teams in all divisions will be expected to
engage in switch-side debating. Maverick entries are not accepted. Wayne State will enter teams and contestants as long as those entries
do not create a bye in a division. Wayne State contestants (even in hybrid situations) will not
be eligible to clear.

                                       We
will make every effort to avoid collapsing divisions if entries make it
possible. Should a division need to be collapsed, we will consult with
directors from programs affected to determine how we want to proceed with such
collapse.

ENTRY
DEADLINES      Entries should be made through the Bruschke/Debate
Results web page

&
PROCEDURES:          www.debateresults.com. Please complete and verify your entry?especially
dietary information--and judges no later than 12 pm (EST) on October 22.

FEES:                           Fees
are $80.00 for each Varsity and Junior Varsity team and $70.00 for each Novice
team. Entry fees will cover awards, 2 continental breakfasts, 2 lunches, room
use and tournament administrative expenses.

HOUSING:                    A
block of rooms has been reserved at the luxurious Hyatt Regency Dearborn in the
Fairlane Town Center, 600 Town Center Drive, Dearborn, MI 48126, phone 313-593-1234 or the toll free number is 1-800-233-1234.  A very affordable flat fee of $107.00 for a
double-double with 4 occupants and free internet has been arranged, provided
that your reservations are made before the deadline:
October 9, 2008.  This is an
AMAZING rate for this kind of hotel. However, given that this is higher than
the rate we are normally given, we have reduced our entry fee costs to make up
for the price difference. Please ask for the ?Wayne State Debate Room Block?
when you make your reservations.

TOPIC:                         This year?s NDT/CEDA
debate resolution will be used in all three

divisions.

JUDGING:                     Each
school must supply four rounds of judging per two-person team entered.  All judges must remain for the 1st
set of elimination rounds on Monday or judge one round beyond the elimination
of their teams.  Judges may be hired at $40
per round.

IF YOU NEED HIRED JUDGING: You
must make requests for hired judging as early as possible (this was a serious
problem last year and we were under-covered seriously on rounds as a result and
had to wildly scramble to find judging at the last minute). Send all hired judging requests to Kelly
Young at motorcitytournament at gmail.com. PLEASE INFORM US EARLY OF HIRED JUDGING
NEEDS!

Judges should enter their
judging conflicts/preclusions through the Bruschke/Debate Results web page.

   Also, all judges should make their judging
philosophies available, either electronically on http://www.planetdebate.com/ or http://judgephilosophies.wikispaces.com/

TOURNAMENT              General: The tournament
will follow the American Debate

PROCEDURES:             Association
tournament  procedure rules, found at http://www.kings.edu/debate/rules.htm.
Additionally,
we comply with the underlying principles of CEDA?s Statement on Sexual
Harassment and Discrimination and the Statement of Ethical Principles.

Times: traditional 9-3-6 speech times, with 10 minutes of prep for each team.

Judge
Assignment: We use a limited judge preference
system as entries permit. If strikes or a preference system are not possible,
random judge assignment will be used.

Round
Pairing: Rounds 1 and 2 are random
preset. If entries permit, Rounds 3 and 4 are lag-powered off of Rd. 1-2
results. Rounds 5 & 6 are lag-powered off of Rds 1-4, with Rd 7 and 8
individually powered.

Elimination
Rounds: As per ADA rules, we will clear ?no
more than or less than half of the teams competing in the preliminary rounds of
debate,? if room and judge availably allow. The only exception is in novice,
which traditionally doesn?t have enough entries to justify outrounds beyond
Semifinals. Should we have enough entries this year in this division, we will
adjust the schedule as necessary to have additional rounds.

Hybrid
Teams: As allowed for by Sect. III,
6 of ADA rules, we will allow hybrid teams to clear to
elimination rounds unless the team includes a student from Wayne State.

Sick/Ill
Debaters: Should a member of a team
become unable to compete in a given debate round, the team must forfeit the
round (although the round may continue for educational purposes), but the team
remains eligible for awards and elimination rounds. Speaker points will be
averaged for the forfeit round for the ill-competitor.

Audio-Visual
Equipment: We cannot provide
audio-visual equipment for you. If you should need such items, please bring
your own equipment or make arrangements on your own.

TOURNAMENT:             All
preliminary rounds will be held in Manoogian Hall, located on the

LOCATION:                  northeast
corner of Warren
  Ave. and
the John C.
  Lodge Service Drive.  The street address is 906 W. Warren Ave, Detroit, MI  48201. A campus map can be found at: http://www.campusmap.wayne.edu/
(click on the Building Code search option at the lower right hand side of the
page and click on MANO). Elimination debates on Monday will be held at the Student Center Building (on the map website, building code: SCB).

PARKING:                    Please
use parking Lot #52 on Warren Avenue across from Manoogian Hall on Saturday and Sunday. (On the online
campus map, scroll down the search options on the lower right side for
?Parking? and select MIXED LOT #52). Instructions for Monday parking will be
announced.

QUESTIONS OR

CONTACT INFO:           Kelly Young

                                    Office: 313-577-2953 or
313-577-2946 (Forensics Secretary Helen)

                                    Email: Motorcitytournament at gmail.com

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 24

8 p.m. - 11 p.m.                         Tournament Registration

                                                Hyatt
Regency Lobby (registration table located to the Right of

the hotel
registration desk)

If
you are arriving late Friday night (after 11 p.m.) or Saturday
morning, please confirm your registration by calling Kelly Young at (313)
318-6328.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 25

8:30 a.m.                                  Continental
Breakfast

9 a.m.                                       Round I

11:30 a.m.                                 Round II

1:00 p.m.                                  Lunch

3 p.m.                                       Round III

5:30 p.m.                                  Round IV

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 26

7:30 a.m.                                  Pairings
released via EDEBATE and at tournament hotel

8:00 a.m.                                  Continental
Breakfast

8:30 a.m.                                  Round V

11:00 a.m.                                 Round VI
(Varsity and JV)

1:00 p.m.                                  Lunch

3 p.m.                                       Round VII (Varsity and
JV)

                                                1st
Novice Elimination Rounds

4:30 p.m.                                  Round VIII
(Varsity and JV)

                                                2nd
Novice Elimination Rounds

T.B.A.                                       Teams
Clearing Info released on EDEBATE.

MONDAY, OCTOBER 27

7:00 a.m.                                  Elimination
Pairings Released in front of Hyatt registration desk

8:30 a.m.                                  Varsity and JV
Elimination Rounds Begin?WSU Student Center

Immediately
after Elim Rd 1        Awards Ceremony, Student Center Ballroom

Kelly M. Young, Ph.D.
Director of Forensics/
Assistant Professor
Communication Department