[eDebate] peopleless debate

stephen davis proudsavage
Mon Sep 15 01:23:45 CDT 2008

Heidegger would be pissed.

I like this idea, i think there are lot of things that could be
semi-automated that would make all of our lives a lot easier provided that
we've got the cash.  For instance: why haven't we taught computers to flow
for us yet? i mean why are we even traveling when really debate could happen
over real time feeds on the interwebs. or even in email... i could judge
debates from here provided i got a hold of the right software.  i really
dont know why we would stop at robot judges. why dont we write programming
that will simulate debaters  and will produce args that coaches write and
the robots can just download into the mainframe in Jim Hansons basement. its
uncanny to me that any poor misguided fools ever thought of debate as
something of an organic process wherein people do stuff... doin stuff is,
thanks to this innovation, totally over rated. everyone knows all the best
stuff is made by robots. why wouldn't the best debate be made  by robots.
if someone misses the viceral and corporeal they could prolly grow vocal
cords in a lab and hook them up to a talking machine or something... this is
great... whitman should be applauded for this feat... in ten years debate
will be a software writers job that could foster another tech boom and save
us all from having to think and act in accordance with those thoughts so we
can have more time to cook crystal meth and pretend that anybody cares that
paper is obsolete in walla walla... cant wait till unsliced bread comes out
and disposible television  and rice crispies without all that annoying
cracking and popping...  ROBOT WARS... the new debate, like pink is the new
orange and black is the new president...  im excited, but am wholly
unsurprised,  ive come to expect such ground breaking innovations from a
team as cutting edge as whitman and im happy that this particular innovation
will pave the way for more stuff that no one cares about...

repectfully,

Stephen M. Davis
Towson University
Debate Coach