[eDebate] KCKCC Invite Oct 10-12 Updated

Darren Elliott delliott
Mon Sep 15 16:51:18 CDT 2008

Below is the invite for the KCKCC Debate Tournament, Oct. 10th ? 12th, 2008. It has also been uploaded to the Bruschke site.

chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate and Forensics
Kansas City Kansas Community College
CEDA President

Friends,

Please plan on joining us in October for the 7th Annual Blue Devil Debates. We plan to continue the tradition started five years ago in honoring our judges and competitors with awards voted on by the
debaters. Additionally we will again present the Coaching Award and the Dr. Amy Fugate Leadership Award. Last year's recipients were Louie Petit of Missouri State receiving the Coaching Award and Dr. Gordon Stables of USC, receiving the Leadership Award. I look forward to presenting this year's awards as well. There will be entertainment options for coaches in the evening if there is interest.  Likewise just 3 miles to the West of campus is Village West. It has become the entertainment, dining, and shopping mecca of Kansas and the Mid-West. It has moved Kansas up 15 spots in tourism among all states
nationwide. Anything you could want to eat or buy is now available just minutes from the Campus. I encourage everyone to check it out--especially BBQ fans! (Read Arthur Bryant?s!!)  : )

Thanks,
Chief

September 2008

Dear Colleagues:

On behalf of Kansas City Kansas Community College, Blue Devil Debate, and the Humanities and Fine Arts Division, it is my pleasure to invite you and your students to the 7th annual KCKCC Debate Tournament. The debate tournament will be held Friday October 10th through Sunday October 12th on the KCKCC campus in Kansas City, Kansas. Registration for the tournament will be on Friday at the college. In this invitation you will find the necessary hotel information, schedule, and entry form.
Please call for your rooms now as rooms in KC are hard to come by. We will be offering three divisions of policy debate on the current CEDA/NDT topic for 2008-2009. You may submit teams in Open, JV, and Novice divisions. We will break to an appropriate number of elims in each division and will do everything within reason to not have to collapse divisions. As per the CEDA rule governing sweeps, we will break ? the teams in all divisions providing at least a 50% W/L record. Speaker awards will also be given in each division.
If you have any questions regarding the tournament, please do not hesitate to call or email. We look forward to hosting you on our campus in October.

Sincerely,

Darren Elliott--Director of Debate and Forensics
(913)288-7295 -- office
(316)214-9502 * cell
delliott at kckcc.edu
Amy Arellano--Asst. Debate and Forensics Coach
Adrian Self?Asst. Coach
Clay Crockett?Asst. Coach

Tentative KCKCC Schedule of events:

Friday, October 10th

2:00pm                 Registration                                        Upper Level Lounge Jewell Student Center
3:00pm                 Pairings/Opening Assembly        Upper Level Lounge Jewell Student Center
3:30pm                 Round I                                                Preset
5:30pm                 Round II                                               Preset
9:00pm                 Regional Meeting/All Coaches Reception

Saturday, October 11th
8:00am                 Release Pairings                               Room 2110 Humanities
9:00am                 Round III
11:45am               Round IV
1:45-3:00pm       Lunch                                                    Room 2110 Humanities
3:30pm                 Round V
6:00pm                 Round VI
8:30pm                 First Partials Round (depending on size)
ASAP                     Release list of Elim participants at Hotels and on edebate
10:00pm               All Coaches Reception at Tournament Suite (Dependent on partials Round)

Sunday, October 12th
8:00am                 Awards Assembly                            Upper Level Lounge Jewell Student Center
                                Or Partial Elims (depending on size)
10am                     Elims Continue

KCKCC Tournament Information

DIVISIONS: We will be offering Open, Junior Varsity, and Novice Divisions. Please follow the CEDA guidelines for entering your team in the correct division. We will only collapse divisions if ABSOLUTELY
necessary. We will break to the appropriate number of elims based on CEDA sweeps points regulations and number of entries in a division. We will break ? the teams in each division provided a 50% W/L record. If a division does collapse we will still give awards based on how a team finishes in comparison to other teams who would have been eligible for the less experienced division.

ENTRIES: Please have your entries to me as soon as possible. I would like them no later than Oct. 8th. The number of Saturday classes on our campus has increased dramatically. Classroom space is limited. As such tournament entries will be secured on a first entered basis. If a wait list is necessary, teams will be notified once the cap is reached. If you are flying to KC, enter early and your spots will be guaranteed.

TIME LIMITS: Time limits will be 9-3-6 with 10 minutes of prep time per team.

JUDGING: Each school is expected to provide qualified judges to accompany their teams. You are responsible for three rounds of judging for every one team entered. All judges are committed through the first elim debate or one round past their teams' elimination, whichever occurs first. Please do your best to hire judges if you need to as opposed to trying to hire them through us. If you do need to hire a judge, the fee will be $150.00 per uncovered team.  Please give me plenty of notice if you need to hire someone. If you are bringing extra judges, let me know how many rounds they would like to be hired for. Judges MUST render a decision by marking a loser and a winner of each debate. Only one team can win and only one can lose. Judges not following this will have their ballot changed with a coin toss and have their best team's record altered by forfeiting a win at the conclusion of prelims. We plan on using some sort of judge preference system depending on entries and availability. If a preference system is used, one will be used in ALL divisions as per CEDA rules. If you are bringing more teams than you can cover, and are splitting your judge commitments among your coaches, it is vital that you have enough judges on elim day to cover at a minimum the number of teams you clear.

FEES: The registration fee will be $80.00 per team entered. We will provide Breakfast on Saturday as well as lunch. We will provide breakfast on Sunday morning as well. We will provide drinks and snacks
throughout the weekend. Cash is the preferred method of payment so we can pay our vendors over the weekend. A check is the second best option--made out to "Darren Elliott--KCKCC Debate". Unfortunately we cannot take Visa, Mastercard, or Discover at this time. Bartering for chickens, and pigs is always negotiable.  Just remember, even if you put lipstick on a pig it is still a pig.

SMOKING: Please do not smoke inside buildings on the KCKCC campus. Smoking areas and containers for cigarette butts are located outside throughout the campus.

TEAMS: Teams should be comprised of two debaters from the same school or two debaters, each from a different school. All teams, including hybrids will be allowed to advance to elims and win speaker awards. Please notify me early of any 3-person teams you may enter.  KCKCC debaters may participate in the tournament and advance to elim rounds. Three-Person teams will be allowed although if multiple three-person teams (2 from different schools) become a reality I will try and get coaches together to make two-person hybrids out of their extra debaters.

AWARDS: Teams reaching the elimination debates will receive awards. An appropriate number of speaker awards will be given in each division as well. Collapsed divisions if it has to happen will still be awarded based on finish in comparison to other teams from the less experienced division that was collapsed. We will once again present the Dr. Amy Fugate Leadership Award to a member of CEDA who has distinguished service and leadership in the organization. Previous recipients were ML Sandoz, Jeff Jarman, Eric Morris, Neil Berch and Gordon Stables.

We will once again present the Coaches Award, typically designated for an assistant coach, to show appreciation for those who work so hard to keep our programs going. Previous recipients were Heather Walters, James Taylor, Matt Moore, Jason Russell and Louie Petit.

We will present the Newcomer Award to any program coming to our tournament for the first time, and the Long Distance Award to the program traveling the farthest to be with us.

We will award the Top 3 Critics as voted on by the competitors.

We will award 1 team in each Division as ?representing the best there is in competition? as voted on by the competitors.

BRACKETS: Brackets will not be broken in elimination debates.

HOTEL INFO: There are a number of hotel options near the campus. In the past we have used the Microtel Inn and Suites as a tournament hotel. The Microtel is no longer in operation.  That may shock some of you!  In its place is a newly renovated, newly managed Days Inn property.  I have toured the property and am very pleased with the property, the management, and the levels of service.  The changes, including an upgraded computer system for registration, are top notch.  The property is within 5 minutes of campus. Please make reservations ASAP.

The hotel is located right off of I70 and 78th St exit in Kansas City (Exit #414).

For that weekend they are offering the following rates as of today:
$79.99 for Doubles
$74.99 for Singles
$94.99 for Basic Suites
$108.99 for Upgraded Suites with pullout sofas.

Their number is (913)334-3028. Their fax number is (913)334-5983.
They are located at 7721 Elizabeth St. Kansas City, KS 66112.

Other hotels:
The Comfort Inn and Suites (on the other side of I70 from the Microtel) is about 5 minutes from campus. Their number is 913-299-5555

The Holiday Inn Express (located in the Legends Shopping Center at Village West) is 10 minutes from the College. This hotel is relatively new, very nice, and right in the middle of shopping and dining mecca!
Their number is 913-328-1024.

The Holiday Inn Express (On I70 in Bonner Springs) is about 10-15 minutes from the College. Their number is 913-721-5300.

The Hampton Inn (located in the Legends Shopping Center at Village West) is 10 minutes from the College. Also very new and very nice, it is located in the heart of shopping and dining. Their number is
913-328-1400.

Comfort Suites has just opened a brand new property at the Legends at Village West, just adjacent to the T-Bones Minor League baseball stadium.

TRANSPORTATION: If you are flying in to KCI and need a shuttle to the hotel, please let me know immediately.

If you are driving from the East: Take I70 through Kansas City, MO and into Kansas City, KS. You will see signs for KCKCC just before the turn off for the campus. You want to take the Turner Diagonal/Highway 40 Exit. Stay to the right onto Highway 40. Stay on until State Avenue. Turn left onto State and at the first right, which is College Blvd., turn right into the college. Follow the road around (please don't hit
our ducks) until you see the Humanities building on your right. Park anywhere you can find a space in front of the section of the building labeled ?JEWELL?. Enter the Jewell building, proceed down the hallway past Admissions and Financial Aid.  Once you reach the end of the hall, take a left to the Upper Level Lounge.

If you are driving from the West: Take I70 to Kansas City and take the Highway 40 exit. You will be driving under the Turner Diagonal then rounding back on to it heading North. When you come to State Avenue turn left. The entrance to KCKCC will be on your immediate right at College Blvd. Once turning on to College Blvd. follow the road around (please don't hit our ducks) until you see the Humanities
building on your right. Park anywhere you can find a space in front of the section of the building labeled ?JEWELL?. Enter the Jewell building, proceed down the hallway past Admissions and Financial Aid.  Once you reach the end of the hall, take a left to the Upper Level Lounge.

If you are coming from the North or South: Take I35 until you reach I70. Take I70 and follow the first set of directions listed above.

PARKING: You will not be ticketed by parking in the lot in front of Humanities or Jewell  Friday, Saturday, or Sunday unless you park in a Handicapped or Reserved stall. All unmarked and Visitor stalls are fine to park in. You also need to park head-in to avoid being ticketed.

SEXUAL HARRASSMENT: The CEDA statement on Sexual Harassment will be upheld. A tournament harassment committee will be appointed to deal with any issues that arise.

STATE LAW: All tournament participants, coaches and judges are expected to adhere to the laws of the State of Kansas. Alcohol and illegal substance consumption on campus is strictly prohibited by these laws and will result in removal from the tournament.

ENTERING THE TOURNAMENT:  Entry on the Bruschke website (debateresults.com) is the preferred method of entry.  You can also email me your entry if you prefer.  Faxing is also an option using the form below.  It and mailing your entries are the least preferred and trusted methods of entry.  Once you enter I will email you a confirmation.  If you do not receive this confirmation, please email me.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to call or email me. We hope to see you in October in Kansas City.

Darren Elliott
KCKCC
7250 State Avenue
Kansas City, KS 66112
delliott at kckcc.edu
(913)288-7295 office
(913)288-7638 fax
(316)214-9502 cell

KCKCC Team Policy Entry Form-return to Darren Elliott
School ____________________________________
Coach ____________________________________
Address ____________________________________
Office # ____________________________________
Home # ____________________________________
Fax ____________________________________
Email ____________________________________
Open Division: (use more space if necessary)
1. ________________________________and_____________________________
2. ________________________________and_____________________________
3. ________________________________and_____________________________
4. ________________________________and_____________________________
Junior Varsity Division: (use more space if necessary)
1._____________________________and_________________________________
2._____________________________and_________________________________
3._____________________________and_________________________________
4._____________________________and_________________________________
Novice Division: (use more space if necessary)
1._____________________________and_________________________________
2._____________________________and_________________________________
3._____________________________and_________________________________
4._____________________________and_________________________________
Judges: Please indicate commitment for each judge and any team
restrictions. We ask that schools with multiple teams do your best to
secure multiple judges for elims. Only having one judge available on
elim
day makes it difficult on tournament administration. (use more space if
necessary)
1.
2.
3.