[eDebate] University of Massachusetts-Amherst Tournament Invite

Melinda R. Tarsi mtarsi
Sun Sep 21 10:49:47 CDT 2008

Hello everyone,
Below please find the invite for the UMass debate tournament. Announcements
will follow in regards what building(s) we will be using on campus, as we are
still trying to sort that out. Please note that the hotel blocks release in
late December. Thanks, and we hope to see you in Amherst!

The University of Massachusetts-Amherst Debate Team invites you to:

The University of Massachusetts-Amherst Debate Tournament
January 31-February 1, 2009

TOURNAMENT INFORMATION
We will be holding six (6) rounds of cross-examination policy debate, utilizing
the 2008-09 CEDA topic.  There will be switch-side debate in novice, junior
varsity, and open using the CEDA requirements for eligibility in these
divisions, respectively. We will be holding full elimination rounds.  We will
run 9-3-6 debates with 10 minutes of prep time. We hope that all judges will at
minimum disclose their decisions at the end of the round, and also provide an
oral critique of the round to further the educational aspect of debate. We will
also feature a World?s Division. We will follow all CEDA rules and regulations
regarding proper conduct during the tournament.

REGISTRATION
Fees are $85 per team of two for CEDA as well as World?s. Teams are expected to
supply six (6) rounds of judging for every two (2) teams entered. Uncovered
teams will be charged an extra $125 judging fee. Please note that our judging
pool is very limited so, while we will make every effort to accommodate, we
strongly encourage teams to bring sufficient judging for the tournament. Please
contact Melinda (mtarsi at polsci.umass.edu) if you have a financial hardship ? we
will do what we can to allow everyone to compete who wants to. Also, when
registering, please fill out the information on special diets/vegan meal
requests, so that we can pass along the info to our food vendors.

TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE:
FRIDAY, January 30:
6:00 ? 11:00PM Registration at tournament hotel (details TBA)

SATURDAY, January 31:
7:00 AM Registration- location TBA
7:30 AM Breakfast
8:00 AM ROUND 1
10:30AM ROUND 2
12:30PM Lunch
1:30PM ROUND 3
4:00PM ROUND 4
6:30PM ROUND 5

SUNDAY, February 1:
7:30AM Breakfast
8:00AM ROUND 6
11:00AM CEDA Elimination Debates
1:30PM Lunch and Award Ceremony
2:30PM Elimination rounds for CEDA
4:30PM Elimination Rounds (as necessary)
7:00PM Elimination Rounds (as necessary)

World?s Schedule
The World?s Debate Schedule will follow the same parameters as the CEDA policy
schedule.

HOTEL INFORMATION
We have reserved blocks at two (2) local hotels, both of which are ten minutes
from campus:

EconoLodge
329 Russell Street, Hadley MA
24 rooms reserved, $70/night + tax

Holiday Inn Express
400 Russell Street, Hadley MA
39 rooms reserved, $109/night + tax

For reservations, please contact sales representative Aolani George directly at
413-586-3760. This will ensure that your reservations are handled
appropriately. Please reference block code UMASS DEBATE when making your
reservation. Also, please note that both the hotels observe 10PM quiet time.
***The blocks will be released on MONDAY DECEMBER 29, 2008 ? please make your
reservations before this time! If you have a time constraint or scheduling
issue that prevents you from reserving your rooms by this time, please contact
Aolani directly to see if an extension is possible***

There are also other hotels in the area, which will vary in both price and
availability. They are all in the same general vicinity on Russell Street/Route
9 in neighboring Hadley, and are no more than 15 minutes from campus:

Howard Johnson?s
401 Russell Street, Hadley MA
413-586-0114

Courtyard by Marriott
423 Russell Street, Hadley MA
413-256-5454

Comfort Inn
237 Russell Street, Hadley MA
413-584-9816

Teams in need of lodging assistance should contact Melinda ASAP at
mtarsi at polsci.umass.edu; we will make every effort to find you some housing for
the weekend.

TRAVEL INFORMATION
UMass is located in the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. Bradley
International Airport is the closest one serving the general area at
approximately 40 minutes from Amherst (http://www.bradleyairport.com). For
transportation to and from Bradley, please contact Valley Transporter
(http://www.valleytransporter.com or 1-800-872-8752).

The entire UMass Debate Team and university community look forward to welcoming
you to Amherst!
Best,
Melinda Tarsi, Jillian Marty, Casey Stevens
Coaching Staff
University of Massachusetts-Amherst Debate Team
Questions: please contact Melinda at mtarsi at polsci.umass.edu

Melinda R. Tarsi
Ph.D. Student, Political Science
Assistant Coach, UMass Policy Debate Team
University of Massachusetts - Amherst