[eDebate] My Apologies to the Novice Debaters!

Thu Sep 4 15:03:20 CDT 2008

I agree with Jackie. I have students this year who did a whole sixty rounds of
LD debate in rural Louisiana. Not TOC national champions, just good ol' "Judge,
you ought to vote for this utility thing because it makes a lot of people
happy." They will be in JV against teams with four years of high school policy
debate and some going into their second year of college policy debate. Talk
about demoralizing. On the other hand, programs could skirt the novice rules by
redshirting students, having "public debates" for a year on the CEDA topic, and
then claiming to still have novice eligibility. I am not sure how having
non-viable novice divisions helps anyone within the debate community.

I think the three final rounds and you have to move up to JV would be a better
way of doing things.

Scott