[eDebate] A need to revisit the Novice eligibility rule

Kris Willis kristopherwillis
Fri Sep 26 08:15:24 CDT 2008

I agree with Tim. I am a proponent of "moving" people along in divisions, but I will always maintain that if someone is keeping a debater in a division and willing to sacrifice the points, then their intention is probably a good one and as the coach they would be better suited to make that judgement.
Kris

To: edebate at ndtceda.com
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 23:24:06 -0400
From: pacedebate at aol.com
Subject: Re: [eDebate] A need to revisit the Novice eligibility rule

 Why not just give up the CEDA points and let this person debate in novice?

Justin referred to it as an "oversight" but way back when I spent time discussing these issues and worked on such a rule the wording was intentional for exactly this reason. If a director thinks their students are better served by remaining in novice they should have the option of doing so. The price they pay which should reduce abuse is letting directors put the interest of their students above a few ceda points.

Tim Mahoney

Director of Debate, St. Mark's School of Texas

10600 Preston Road

Dallas, TX 75230

214-346-8141

214-734-3673 cell